• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Clock who don't stop when the game end

F

Federico

Hi everyone, i'm creating a game for android/iOS with Game Maker Studio Pro...i need a clock who don't stop when the app is closed and the game stopped.

I Think I need a server (differente from the game) where the clock never stop but I don't know how... So I have another problem... I would when the clock (the server clock) end, the game send a notification on android/iOS... but than when the game is closed... for example, Clash of Clans: when you start to build a structure, a clock start, and this clock don't stop if you close the app...then, when the clock end the game send a notification on android/iOS device ... Simeone can help me please (sorry for my inglish bit i'm not england)

TheouAegis

Why not just use the devices clock? I mean, it might be less secure, butt if the device has no internet connection, then you wouldn't be able to even play the game.

T

TDSrock

Jup, unless if you are going to build a game which is going to be online/competitive I see no reason not to use the devices clock. There are some tricks you can do to detect players who are cheating. One would use the internet to obtain the time via that method and compare it to the programs most recently noted time. Your game may run in the background and do time tracking stuff then too. So unless the player fully closes out you're good.

Date related content in Pokemon games on the DS used to be dependent on the internal time of the machine. So I as player could set it to whatever was beneficial to me. But the benefits I gained of that were just for myself. They had no impact on the integrity of the game's competitive scene, as all users could do this to make farming berry's easier, for example.

F

Federico

I know
Why not just use the devices clock? I mean, it might be less secure, butt if the device has no internet connection, then you wouldn't be able to even play the game.
I know the game necessity Internet connection for work, if you haven't hot it you can't join ... bit of I use the device'clock i'll have two problem:
*FIRST if the Player switch off the telephone the game stop
*SECOND If i close the app the clock end...

I have an idea ... I can create a loading area, weee the game use the last device clock (before the game end) and the actually device clock and fine how many hours ... but the notification can't work when the game is bit working...

F

Federico

Ok
Jup, unless if you are going to build a game which is going to be online/competitive I see no reason not to use the devices clock. There are some tricks you can do to detect players who are cheating. One would use the internet to obtain the time via that method and compare it to the programs most recently noted time. Your game may run in the background and do time tracking stuff then too. So unless the player fully closes out you're good.

Date related content in Pokemon games on the DS used to be dependent on the internal time of the machine. So I as player could set it to whatever was beneficial to me. But the benefits I gained of that were just for myself. They had no impact on the integrity of the game's competitive scene, as all users could do this to make farming berry's easier, for example.
Ok, it's a good idea, but i would the game Sand Real time notification on device... if the clock end in 5 minuts for example , i would when it end the game send a notification (if the game is working or the game is closed)

F

Federico

Ok

Ok, it's a good idea, but i would the game Sand Real time notification on device... if the clock end in 5 minuts for example , i would when it end the game send a notification (if the game is working or the game is closed)
And how i can work the app in background??

T

TDSrock

Try THIS.

When the player heads out of the app it should remain as an active program(unless forced to close).

Freddy Jones

Your Main Detective
If you don't want to have to host your own server that only sends Time related data, you could just retrieve the data off a public time server.

I found a REST time api you could use to snip the current time. http://www.timeapi.org/
( in case you wanted to go out of your way and make sure player clocks are legit)

If the player was really tricky they could just imitate responses you'd get from your server anyhow. It's easier to change internal clock, but it's still possible to tamper with how the game reads packets.

F

Federico

Ok
If you don't want to have to host your own server that only sends Time related data, you could just retrieve the data off a public time server.

I found a REST time api you could use to snip the current time. http://www.timeapi.org/
( in case you wanted to go out of your way and make sure player clocks are legit)

If the player was really tricky he could just imitate responses you'd get from your server anyhow. It's easier to change internal clock, but it's still possible to tamper with how the game reads packets.
Ok, I'll use it