• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Click to play screen on game start

N

nessabby1

Just like in mostgames, you see a Click to Play screen that shows up before the game starts and when the players clicks the screen it starts the game, Id like to add that but i dont know if its possible. I saw that it can be done by adding a room. But what if i had for example 10 levels in the game and their based on scripts, each level doesnt go to a room its just one single game room and with 10 scripts to tell each level to go on that given script. In that case, would i have to add 10 whole rooms just to say " Click to play before starting each level in the game??

obscene

First, it don't have to be a room. It can all done by one object and draw. Just when you enter a new room, that object would run, pause the rest of your game (maybe use instance_deactivate_all) and draw your screen, button, etc until you click it.

If you do a room, all you have to do is save the next room's ID in a global variable and when you click the button, go to that room.

N

nessabby1

First, it don't have to be a room. It can all done by one object and draw. Just when you enter a new room, that object would run, pause the rest of your game (maybe use instance_deactivate_all) and draw your screen, button, etc until you click it.

If you do a room, all you have to do is save the next room's ID in a global variable and when you click the button, go to that room.
Yes, i quite understand but there isnt any new rooms, when the player clicks level 1, or level 2, all of them are in a same room just the script changes so its a different aspect of objects which makes the level different. anyhow, how would i go about doing like you said with the One object and draw

N

nessabby1

I tried to do the pause thing, but i already have a pause button n that interferes with the original pause effect. I already have global.pause . for when the game pauses. But then like you said use the instance activate, that caused errors to occur.

C

ConsolCWBY

If you're using scripts to create each level, why can't you use a script to create an interim level - which would only contain the graphics and buttons necessary to show a Click To Play screen. When the player clicks on the button, then you'd just go to the next level script?... Hard to infer why it would be difficult if you're using nothing but scripts... :(

TheouAegis

Curious how the script is set up such that adding a new room completely negates the script.

By the way, odds are your global.pause variable is a boolean (true or false); think outside the box and make it an int64 so you can have up to 64 different pauses all in the same variable without having to change too much of your code.