Demo Click Clack Typing - A 2D platformer that teaches typing

J

JDedu

Hi all!

I am working on a 2D platformer that teaches you how to type. It's called Click Clack Typing!

It's in the intermediate stages of development.

The way it works is that basic movement is mapped to typing commands, so you have complete control of the character. The yellow arrows allow you to boost if you correctly type the letters on them.

Here is a free demo for Windows and Mac: https://jdsaw.itch.io/click-clack-typing

Feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated!

You can follow me on Twitter @ClickClackEDU or at clickclacktyping.com if you would like to see more updates in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JDedu

Today I worked on adding conveyor belts to ClickClack!

It took me about an hour and a half in total. The trickiest part was fixing a few glitches caused by collisions while on the conveyor belt.

J

JDedu

Does it teach finger placement on the keyboard?
It does! The UI for the boosts shows which finger to use for typing each character, and the input requirements for early stages will be organized in a manner to introduce finger placement before ramping up the difficulty.

J

JDedu

Very cool idea! Will courses each be their own level?
They will be! Early levels will introduce new key presses, and later stages will work on improving speed. Each course also has multiple difficulty tiers that use longer key commands to create more practice.

J

JDedu

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Here's a list of progress that I have made in the meantime:

• Breaking and moving platforms
  • Keys and doors
  • Checkpoints that change the typing requirements
  • Smashing blocks
  • Redesigned boost objects
  • More levels
  • An NPC called Keyton who teaches keyboard finger placement
  • Pause and retry buttons
Here are some GIFs of these improvements:

J

JDedu

Working on World 2 called Conveyor Canyon!

This world will introduce the keys G and H to home row.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your game.

I assume this is made for US type keyboards. So perhaps my experience was bit different than intended. :D
Typing ; was pretty weird for me since i had to press Shift for that.

It would be good if you could press next level with keyboard. Having to use mouse felt weird when everything else in game was done with keyboard.

J

JDedu

Hey, i tried your game.

I assume this is made for US type keyboards. So perhaps my experience was bit different than intended. :D
Typing ; was pretty weird for me since i had to press Shift for that.

It would be good if you could press next level with keyboard. Having to use mouse felt weird when everything else in game was done with keyboard.

Thanks for the feedback! I totally agree about using the keyboard to go to the next level. In the full version, I've added the ability to press the space bar to continue. I'll need to update the demo to include this.

I hope to have support for more keyboard formats at launch. Thanks for letting me know!

J

JDedu

Currently working on World 3 of Click Clack Typing. It's called Smashy Swamp. The gameplay focus of World 3 is avoiding the smashing blocks, and this world teaches the R,T,Y, and U keys.