Alpha Classic Sprite Editor - The old GameMaker sprite editor remade in GMS2!

O

orSQUADstra

About

Classic Sprite Editor is a project aiming to bring the old sprite editor to life in the style of GameMaker Studio 2. Every aspect of the good ol' editor is being brought to life once again as close as possible! Yes, that also means that pasting an image will be made a selection, and not a brush ;)

This is partially a learning project for shaders and buffers, so development can be slowed down here and there by this. However, I'll try my best to keep it updated and keep the features coming!

Features
  • All the original tools! (not all of them work / fully work at the moment, but the majority is ready!)
  • Multiple palettes to choose from! Go to Edit > Classic Sprite Editor Preferences to change it!
  • UI customization! Pick and choose the theme you fancy! This is planned to be expanded upon by user defined themes aswell
  • Onion Skin tool! It's always handy.
  • A welcome screen that checks for updates on startup - so you never miss an update! This can be turned off, of course (Note that this hasn't been tested as heavily, if any problems occur, please let me know!)
  • Undo and redo, because what would a sprite editor be without it!
  • Much more - and even more coming in future updates!
Gallery

NOTE: Currently the UI design differs from the one seen in the screenshots, however this is only temporary. The one seen here will either be restored or a new design will be made depending on whether or not I can use the GMS2 design.

Keyboard shortcuts

• Pencil - D
  • Spray - A
  • Eraser - E
  • Color Picker - C (You can also temporarily switch to this tool from any other tool by holding Ctrl)
  • Line - L
  • Polygon - P
  • Rectangle - R
  • Ellipse - I
  • Rounded Rectangle - O
  • Rectangle Selection - S
  • Magic Wand - W
  • Spray Selection - Y
  • Text - T
  • Flood-fill - F
  • Replace Color -H

• These can be found in all the context menus. Note that some items on the context menus might not work yet, but will work on the bar below, or by using the keyboard shortcut.

Important

• When using selection tools, turn off antialiasing and do not use the Replace color mode. Please note that it also doesn't like translucent parts - this is a surface thing, I have some ideas on how to fix it, so hang in there!
  • Try not to go over a size of 150x150 for the canvas. After that resolution, drawing will start to have an increasingly noticeable stutter - I also have ideas on how to deal with this, but for now, just stick to 150x150 and below!
  • The "Open GMC thread" button will not bring you to this very thread in alpha 0.1.0
  • The context menu on the input fields don't work yet, for now I focused my attention on other things
  • The theme is copying GMS2's interface, to give a feel of how the old editor in GMS2 would really look like
  • If you come across any bugs, please let me know!
  • Unzip the editor to avoid anytr saving/loading issues!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Download

Download the latest release
Alpha 0.1.1 - 7/16/2020

Last edited:

RujiK

I tried it out. Very professional. Dang, that is a nice interface. Probably the best I've seen in GMS. The themes and color picker are a step above.

Unfortunately, it was also painfully slow. 😟 By any chance, does your "Undo Queue" work by actually saving a temporary file to the hard drive? Every time I paint even the smallest change, the program freezes for about half a second. If you are saving temporary files to the hard drive, I would recommend saving your "Undo Queue" into memory using buffers instead. It will probably be ~1,000 times faster.

Zooming in with the grid display turned on also dropped my FPS to ~5.

Great start though, I'll be watching for more updates.

O

orSQUADstra

I tried it out. Very professional. Dang, that is a nice interface. Probably the best I've seen in GMS. The themes and color picker are a step above.

Unfortunately, it was also painfully slow. 😟 By any chance, does your "Undo Queue" work by actually saving a temporary file to the hard drive? Every time I paint even the smallest change, the program freezes for about half a second. If you are saving temporary files to the hard drive, I would recommend saving your "Undo Queue" into memory using buffers instead. It will probably be ~1,000 times faster.

Zooming in with the grid display turned on also dropped my FPS to ~5.

Great start though, I'll be watching for more updates.
Thanks for the feedback!
The undo queue is saved in memory as buffers, freezes when applying a change is a result of the method I use for applying to the canvas not being as optimized as it could be. I noted this in the original post, if you work under 150x150 resolution, it should be fine, and optimizations will come.
I also haven't given the grid as much attention yet, fixing the low framerate caused by the grid should be an easy fix though - as such, I'll fix that in the next update among other things!

Thank you again!

Amon

Just tested it. This is the cool. Everything seems to work nicely. I dis also get slow down with the grid on but not a huge amount. I tested by making a sprite from 32x32 to 128x128. The GUI is lush and responsive and I was able to understand what did what.

This is an awesome alpha version. I am very much looking forward to the updates. Well done.

dawidM

Looks nice, but I don't know how to implement it into gms2. Could you please add some manual or a short video that shows how to integrate it with gms2? When I tested I opened it as a separate app and toggled windows xD.

O

orSQUADstra

Small update: alpha 0.1.0b
The UI design has been temporarily changed to a quickly converted version of one of my older UIs until it becomes clear whether I can use the GMS2 interface in this program. If I can, then the UI will be restored, if not, I will design a new interface or improve upon the current UI implementation.
If you open the editor, you should be prompted with the update. If not, the download link in the thread has been updated.

Looks nice, but I don't know how to implement it into gms2. Could you please add some manual or a short video that shows how to integrate it with gms2? When I tested I opened it as a separate app and toggled windows xD.
Yeah, currently there's no way to put this into GMS2. Supposedly there will be plugin support, maybe they'll support selecting any application as your default sprite editor.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
The design is amazing and everything works well for now, something that bothered me was the cursor, as the GMS2 does not support changing the built-in cursor and be quick, I feel it is a bit "heavy", I could have an option to disable the cursor of the pencil and leave the normal mouse arrow. But it's getting really good anyway!

O

orSQUADstra

Hotfix released: Alpha 0.1.0c
  • Optimized the grid
  • Changed grid color to gray
  • Fixed crash when pasting image with empty clipboard
  • Fixed crash when entering an empty string in the Text tool
  • Fixed font flickering bug that was present on some windows
  • Fixed text overlapping on the Welcome window
Download by clicking here
Or open your previous version and click the "Download" button on your update prompt
(If you turned off automatic updates, you can manually look for an update: File > Welcome screen > Look for updates)

O

orSQUADstra

Hotfix released: Alpha 0.1.0d
  • Fixed an error that caused the Text tool to crash
  • Fixed a bug that changed the cursor on hidden input fields
  • Fixed a bug where the palette and draggable lines under input fields could be interacted even though the cursor is blocked
  • UI animations are now not framerate dependant
Or open your previous version and click the "Download" button on your update prompt
(If you turned off automatic updates, you can manually look for an update: File > Welcome screen > Look for updates)

O

orSQUADstra

New version released: Alpha 0.1.1
  • Fixed a bug that caused the Text tool font preview to not display the correct front
  • Fixed a bug that prevented tool shortcuts from working when a selection tool is active
  • Fixed a bug that caused the editor object to duplicate when applying the preferences, causing slowdowns and other problems
  • Context menus will now work with input fields
  • Every window now supports Enter and Escape to apply/close the window
  • Adjusted some UI colors for clarity and uniformity
  • The "Open GMC thread" button will now redirect to the correct page
  • The newsfeed will not move anymore when in the update window, so now you will always see the newest tile first

TavoGamer

Hey. Ever thought about making the project open source? That way you can have more helping hands as well as allowing everyone to contribute to making this tool great.