Classic Sprite Editor is a project aiming to bring the old sprite editor to life in the style of GameMaker Studio 2. Every aspect of the good ol' editor is being brought to life once again as close as possible! Yes, that also means that pasting an image will be made a selection, and not a brush
This is partially a learning project for shaders and buffers, so development can be slowed down here and there by this. However, I'll try my best to keep it updated and keep the features coming!
- All the original tools! (not all of them work / fully work at the moment, but the majority is ready!)
- Multiple palettes to choose from! Go to Edit > Classic Sprite Editor Preferences to change it!
- UI customization! Pick and choose the theme you fancy! This is planned to be expanded upon by user defined themes aswell
- Onion Skin tool! It's always handy.
- A welcome screen that checks for updates on startup - so you never miss an update! This can be turned off, of course (Note that this hasn't been tested as heavily, if any problems occur, please let me know!)
- Undo and redo, because what would a sprite editor be without it!
- Much more - and even more coming in future updates!
NOTE: Currently the UI design differs from the one seen in the screenshots, however this is only temporary. The one seen here will either be restored or a new design will be made depending on whether or not I can use the GMS2 design.
- Pencil - D
- Spray - A
- Eraser - E
- Color Picker - C (You can also temporarily switch to this tool from any other tool by holding Ctrl)
- Line - L
- Polygon - P
- Rectangle - R
- Ellipse - I
- Rounded Rectangle - O
- Rectangle Selection - S
- Magic Wand - W
- Spray Selection - Y
- Text - T
- Flood-fill - F
- Replace Color -H
- These can be found in all the context menus. Note that some items on the context menus might not work yet, but will work on the bar below, or by using the keyboard shortcut.
- When using selection tools, turn off antialiasing and do not use the Replace color mode. Please note that it also doesn't like translucent parts - this is a surface thing, I have some ideas on how to fix it, so hang in there!
- Try not to go over a size of 150x150 for the canvas. After that resolution, drawing will start to have an increasingly noticeable stutter - I also have ideas on how to deal with this, but for now, just stick to 150x150 and below!
- The "Open GMC thread" button will not bring you to this very thread in alpha 0.1.0
- The context menu on the input fields don't work yet, for now I focused my attention on other things
- The theme is copying GMS2's interface, to give a feel of how the old editor in GMS2 would really look like
- If you come across any bugs, please let me know!
- Unzip the editor to avoid anytr saving/loading issues!
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Download the latest release
Alpha 0.1.1 - 7/16/2020
Alpha 0.1.1 - 7/16/2020