Design Classic Concentration Game

R

roxydemi

I’m looking to create a classic concentration game similar to the old TV show, but with matching a set of physical therapy cases to the appropriate treatments. How should I go about doing this? It should also have the option to be able to import the matches from a word document (or other text file) or enter the matches manually. Once the matches have been made, it should reveal part of the rebus puzzle. It should also ask after every correct match if the player would like to solve the rebus puzzle.

This is the first time I've ever made any sort of game before, save a VERY primitive Connect Four game I coded in Matlab, which is the only coding language I know.

Honestly I have no idea where to start...where to get images to make sprites for the cards, literally I have no idea what I'm doing. Any links to tutorials or tips at all would be helpful for me.

I have a basic room/event tree started that might help you visualize what I'm talking about, as well as the images I'm looking to make the card backs out of:

· Welcome/title screen

o Start game

o Options

§ Edit subject

· Anatomy, pharm, etc.

o How to play

§ instructions

o Exit game

§ Closes window

· Enter team names

· Dice Roll to see who goes first

· Select two cards

o If cards don’t match, next team’s turn

o If cards match/wild card is selected, cards are removed, revealing puzzle

§ Can the team solve the puzzle? (Y/N)

· If no, next team’s turn

· If yes, is their answer correct? (Y/N)

o If no, continue picking cards

o If yes, team gets 1 point

· Game ends when a team reaches X number of points

· Celebration Screen-Team A/B wins!

o Play again

§ Start new game

o End game

§ Back to title menu

Notes:
Should contain at least 25-30 puzzles to cycle through randomly, making sure to not play the same puzzle

Puzzles should be numbered/labeled for an answer key to check if correct

Card flip animation

Same card backs maybe different colors for different subjects

concentration_board_1973_78_by_mrentertainment-d6jnaiv.png images.jpeg

N

nlolotte

Welcome to the forums.

If this is your first project you'll want to start small and work your way up. Tbh, from what you're describing, I would have no idea where to begin myself.

What do the cards do?
Is the puzzle a picture?

Here's some usefull stuff:

For making sprites I use Pyxel Edit: https://pyxeledit.com/ but paint is also good.
A good random number gen tutorial:
A good card game tutorial:

Hope that helps :)

R

roxydemi

Welcome to the forums.

If this is your first project you'll want to start small and work your way up. Tbh, from what you're describing, I would have no idea where to begin myself.

What do the cards do?
Is the puzzle a picture?

Here's some usefull stuff:

For making sprites I use Pyxel Edit: https://pyxeledit.com/ but paint is also good.
A good random number gen tutorial:
A good card game tutorial:

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for an actually helpful reply. I have until the end of the summer to make and polish the game. If you youtube "classic concentration game show" you can see an example of what I have to make, the puzzle is a picture (or would be a collection of photos that would be randomly shuffled)

If you can tag anyone else in this thread as well, that'd be helpful!

N

nlolotte

No worries :)

You're going to need to do a lot of drawing sprite to the surface and removing them based on numbers etc...

I also found this:

R

roxydemi

No worries :)

You're going to need to do a lot of drawing sprite to the surface and removing them based on numbers etc...

I also found this:
I've been cropping that original red photo and saving each individual number and making a sprite for each one!

R

roxydemi

aaaand i ran out of sprites i can make in the free version -_-

R

roxydemi

I ended up getting Unity and starting over on there...here's my title menu so far. I have a Mac (I know, I know) and I haven't partitioned my hard drive so I can't get the Windows version of GM

Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 11.40.03 PM.png