• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam City Scuttler (Post-Jam Edition)

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I already have a post Jam version of my game! XD
I want to keep working on it. When voting in the Jam, please vote based on the Jam version, not this version. Thank you.

A roguelike (or maybe roguelite) created for 40th GMC Game Jam. Run around the city killing people and attaching their arms to yourself to give yourself more movement turns, weapon slots, and armour slots. Beware of the One Big Party, the corrupt police state that rules the world! Kill the boss and take your place on the throne of the universe!

(Still very, very WIP. Expect jank.)

Capture.PNG

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Alright, I played and defeated the boss.

First, what would help a lot would be some music. With how silly the idea of attaching others' arms is in the first place, I suggest going for something laid-back/jazzy rather than heavy/depressing. I feel this game would work better as something darkly humourous as opposed to serious dystopia.
Also, aside from music, some SFX.

Second, it would be nice to add some variety to the terrain. Maybe some grass here and there, maybe some trees? Maybe make some areas using predominantly one kind of background, so the player roughly knows what kind of area they are in.

That aside, probably adding different kinds of enemies. Preferably something more than "this enemy has even better stats than the other". I dunno, some enemy could be a speedster, while another could be a tank?
I dunno where do you plan to go with it, but I guess some kinds of allies, or maybe even market system would help.

Also, I got so many arms I got 10th slot, which doesn't work all that well when I want to associate some equipment with that. I guess associating letters rather than numbers to slots would help here.

Oh, and if an arm drops somewhere, it would be nice it would be displayed with the top priority (i.e. if a pile of equipment contains an arm, that arm is displayed regardless of what other items are in the pile). It makes arms-hunting easier.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@Alice Holy cow, thanks for the feedback, not to mention taking the time to play this mess of a game a second time! Really, this helps a lot.

Yeah, letting the player reach 10 slots was a massive oversight on my part. My friend discovered you can still use it by hitting 1 and 0 at exactly the same time. XD

I agree it's definitely "darkly humorous." And I intend to eventually have music, sound, better graphics, and an actually proc-gen world. Sadly, I ran out of time because a lot of this (well, all of it) was made from scratch with structs and methods. There's literally two objects in the entire game. Lol. My eventual goal is to completely remake this with the experience I got from the Jam, but as the more fleshed out end product I had initially envisioned.

As far as allies go, I fully intend to have a system that allows you to hire homeless people. I also want to make a class around the idea of convincing low-intelligence NPCs to behave as your Pokemon.

Thanks again. This is seriously very helpful. It didn't even occur to me to make arms appear on top of piles. XD