killing all enemies on screen

================
STORY:
================
You stumbled upon a dazzling blue orb in one of your midnight
adventures in an abandoned laboratory. The moment you touched it,
a rift in time was created, and you were sent to a realm of
non-existence. During the warp, the blue orb infused itself
to your body, and you gained the power to control time itself.
But, this is not how things should be. The red CHRONOBREAKS have been
awoken by your power, and will hunt you down until eternity
to set things back to natural order.

================
CREDITS:
================
Design by Wyli Olivete
Programming by Wyli Olivete
Art by Wyli Olivete
Music by Wyli Olivete
using LMMS
SFX by Wyli Olivete
using SFXR

OLD VERSION (v1.1)

NEW VERSION (v1.2)
DOWNLOAD HERE (GameJolt)

What's new in v1.2?
- Local leaderboard
- Enabled W, A, S, D, and ENTER controls
- Two (2) new enemies added!.. if you can get to them, that is.

- New music

- Laser now takes longer before firing
- Laser is now only lethal for one single frame immediately after firing, instead of 6
- Laser sound now also stops while time looping
- Pausing now also pauses all sounds
- Starting timeline circle is now color-filled to make timeline duration limit clearer
- Made background particles brighter

- Fixed bug where enemies killed by TIME RIFT do not show points gained upon death
- Fixed bug where TIME RIFT does not destroy lasers

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gn.fur

There's should be limit of how long time loop you can create, because you can create giant loop and kill everything on screen.

sp202

Oh man, what a juicy juicy game. It's so simple and elegantly designed and is super satisfying to play with all the neat effects. Only criticism I can offer is that the music seemed a bit of an odd choice, I think something more fast-paced with a bit of an edge would've worked better given the arcade quality of the game. I wish you good luck and hope you place well in the Jam.

sp202

I came back to this game again because it's just so fun and noticed some of the intricacies. Love how you keep half the combo from the previous run to encourage replaying especially if it was after a really good run. I managed to make it quite far this time with a score of nearly 100,000, my death being due to a laser having shot at where I had started the time loop; my trail ran out just as it was firing and I was doomed to loop back to contact with the laser (except I just remembered I could break the loop, oh my). Once again, great game and I look forward to more of your creations.

I

Ixlegraw

NEW VERSION (v1.2)
DOWNLOAD HERE (GameJolt)

What's new in v1.2?
- Local leaderboard
- Enabled W, A, S, D, and ENTER controls
- Two (2) new enemies added!.. if you can get to them, that is.

- New music

- Laser now takes longer before firing
- Laser is now only lethal for one single frame immediately after firing, instead of 6
- Laser sound now also stops while time looping
- Pausing now also pauses all sounds
- Starting timeline circle is now color-filled to make timeline duration limit clearer
- Made background particles brighter

- Fixed bug where enemies killed by TIME RIFT do not show points gained upon death
- Fixed bug where TIME RIFT does not destroy lasers
There's should be limit of how long time loop you can create, because you can create giant loop and kill everything on screen.
There is. After 10 seconds. The circles around you and your start point get smaller to indicate this.

Oh man, what a juicy juicy game. It's so simple and elegantly designed and is super satisfying to play with all the neat effects. Only criticism I can offer is that the music seemed a bit of an odd choice, I think something more fast-paced with a bit of an edge would've worked better given the arcade quality of the game. I wish you good luck and hope you place well in the Jam.
I've changed the music in v1.2. Check it out. :D

I came back to this game again because it's just so fun and noticed some of the intricacies. Love how you keep half the combo from the previous run to encourage replaying especially if it was after a really good run. I managed to make it quite far this time with a score of nearly 100,000, my death being due to a laser having shot at where I had started the time loop; my trail ran out just as it was firing and I was doomed to loop back to contact with the laser (except I just remembered I could break the loop, oh my). Once again, great game and I look forward to more of your creations.
Lasers have been tweaked in v1.2.

G

gn.fur

There is. After 10 seconds. The circles around you and your start point get smaller to indicate this.
Still too much. I would put it down to, like, 3-4 seconds.

And by the way, will there be an Android version? This game would fit great on mobile.

sp202

Just tried the new version, I think the new music does suit the game better. I managed to get past 100,000 too! Though I only saw one of the two new enemies so I don't know if I'm good enough to see the second.

One small criticism I have that I forgot to mention earlier is that the game only really starts when the chronospheres start appearing, but on a fresh run, it takes quite a while for them to appear; delaying the core gameplay loop which results in a boring first 30 seconds or so as it's fairly easy to dodge the enemies and you're not really doing much else. I'd start spawning them in after the first 5-10 seconds.

Also, the addition of the leaderboard is nice, but entering your name after every run breaks the flow of being able to restart immediately. Perhaps make the player pick a name at the start of the game on the menu and use that as the default player name on the leaderboards, and offer the option for the player to change their name with a different button press on the leaderboard screen. The continue text was also overlapping with part of the leaderboard but that's an easy fix.

I

Ixlegraw

The continue text was also overlapping with part of the leaderboard but that's an easy fix.
Could you please show me a screenshot of this? And what is your screen resolution or screen dimensions?