Opinion Christmas Music

A

Alex Lyons

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I'm curious to see who shares it.

I used to love Christmas music, as we'd always sing it in music class and listen to it everywhere. But now, it's kind of annoying. It's not even the melodies of the song that annoy me, but it's always the same versions of the songs that play on the radio and it sounds like they were recorded in the '40s or something. I haven't heard a single "modern" Christmas song yet. I like some originality and variety in my festive music! Is this a sign of aging?

S

StuffandThings85

The holiday season has been pretty ruined for me due to my time working at a grocery store. The Christmas songs they played on the radio were awful. The Barbara Streisand one drives me insane.

M

Misu

I prefer the classics. Modern versions sound terrible and has no nostalgia.

Over here, the christmas songs are Salsa or Merengue. Those are puerto rican traditional music and never gets old.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
...but it's always the same versions of the songs that play on the radio and it sounds like they were recorded in the '40s or something. I haven't heard a single "modern" Christmas song yet. I like some originality and variety in my festive music! Is this a sign of aging?
Sounds like your problem isn't Christmas music, but rather too much repetition of the old standards. Check out some of the jazz on YouTube. You can find most Christmas standards re-done in various styles.

Here's a good starting point. You'll recognize most of the tunes, and even some of the renditions. But some are unique and unexpected.

And of course, who doesn't love the Vince Guaraldi soundtrack: