• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Choosing number of frames for tiles

N

Nebularts

When creating an tileset and opening the animated tiles option, why does it only let me choose either 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 or 256 frames? What if I want to create a tile with 6 frames? Why can't I just type in the number of frames, it doesn't let you, is there any way around this please?

rIKmAN

When creating an tileset and opening the animated tiles option, why does it only let me choose either 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 or 256 frames? What if I want to create a tile with 6 frames? Why can't I just type in the number of frames, it doesn't let you, is there any way around this please?
No there is no way around it, it must be power of 2.

From the manual:
...in that with tile set animations you are limited to creating animations that must be a power of two in length - ie: of 2, 4, 8, 16, etc...

N

Nebularts

I understand other limitations but this? You should be able to at least choose a number that is multiple of 6 maybe?, like even if it was 24 frames I could just repeat them... But none of them are, none of them are multiples of 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 etc... that's just bad in my opinion and I don't see a reason

rIKmAN

I understand other limitations but this? You should be able to at least choose a number that is multiple of 6 maybe?, like even if it was 24 frames I could just repeat them... But none of them are, none of them are multiples of 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 etc... that's just bad in my opinion and I don't see a reason
They didn't just pick a random set of numbers out of thin air.
They could have integrated a more flexible system, sure, but with the system they chose there is a reason that they have to be a power of 2.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Tile layers in GMS2 are highly optimised in an attempt to make them as fast to draw as possible. This, in turn, requires adding certain limitations, and using a binary system like this permits them to use a single "clock" to animate all tiles on the screen with as little overhead as possible.