Graphics Choosing Fonts...

M

Misty

Choosing fonts...I can create fps collisions, make anti-gravity machines, make portals in space, but even help it when it comes down to choosing fonts. It's like the hardest thing. Lord have mercy.

It's like deciding where to pace a portrait in a room, you get the itus and you can't decide, just a little bit off and it's just not right.

Fonts. Where do you get 'em, where do you use 'em, and how do you choose 'em.

S

seanm

just google free fonts and find a good one that has a free commercial license.

Phil Strahl

Believe it or not, I actually license fonts that I use (unless they are waaay too expensive) or if they are free, I donate the designer a little something. But I am such a perfectionist, that I oftentimes just create my own fonts. It's not so hard with pixel fonts, but a "proper" TrueType or OpenType font takes weeks :/

RangerX

Right 100 of them down and attribute them a number.
Now start a GameMaker project, have an object doing the choosing for you. GameMaker can't go wrong right?

MyFont=irandom_range(1,100);
show_debug_message("I should use: "+"string(MyFont));

tadam!

C

ConsolCWBY

I use the communist stuff, because free is free. However, ALWAYS check the license. One of the reasons why I use my own sprite fonts. May not be pretty when I'm doing a jam, but is ALL MINE. :)

Phil Strahl

Yes but how do I choose one that has the right personality? There are so many.
I really don't want to appear patronizing, but I just googled "how to choose the right font" and the first few results seemed pretty useful, at least as a starting point. What also works is to use a completely silly font and show it to a graphic designer friend. Have a pen ready because, s/he will go on and on about what font you *should* have used instead, because OMG COMIC SANS?!! SRSLY WTF?!!HOW COULD YOU?! ;) At least that works for me.

NeoShade

Right 100 of them down and attribute them a number.
Now start a GameMaker project, have an object doing the choosing for you. GameMaker can't go wrong right?
This isn't actually a terrible idea. Obviously I wouldn't leave a random font selection in the final product of the game, but if you're having trouble choosing which font to use, why not download and install a heap of different fonts that you think might be good for your game and have the game randomly choose one each time it runs. That way, while you're testing it as you make changes, etc. you can see all of the different fonts and how they fit in, and then you can make a decision about it later on. You might find that fonts you thought would work really well just look terrible when put in place in the game, and fonts that you weren't so sure about might look awesome.

M

Misty

What also works is to use a completely silly font and show it to a graphic designer friend. Have a pen ready because, s/he will go on and on about what font you *should* have used instead, because OMG COMIC SANS?!! SRSLY WTF?!!HOW COULD YOU?! ;) At least that works for me.
Good idea but, I don't know any person like that I could use.

This isn't actually a terrible idea. Obviously I wouldn't leave a random font selection in the final product of the game, but if you're having trouble choosing which font to use, why not download and install a heap of different fonts that you think might be good for your game and have the game randomly choose one each time it runs. That way, while you're testing it as you make changes, etc. you can see all of the different fonts and how they fit in, and then you can make a decision about it later on. You might find that fonts you thought would work really well just look terrible when put in place in the game, and fonts that you weren't so sure about might look awesome.
Good idea but, Im not sure the irandom_range would work or not, do you have to type in the name of each font or just a number.

I use the communist stuff, because free is free. However, ALWAYS check the license. One of the reasons why I use my own sprite fonts. May not be pretty when I'm doing a jam, but is ALL MINE. :)
Communism is not free, they make you work at a job you don't like to buy "stuff" you don't need.

P

Paolo Mazzon

Communism is not free, they make you work at a job you don't like to buy "stuff" you don't need.
Chill, it's a joke. If you're making a space game, use a sci fi font. If you're making a mid evil game, use a calligraphy style font. Really, as long as you don't use the default font or wingdings, it'll probably be fine.

T

Tango

Sometime ago I was thinking the same thing.

I had an idea then. Every time I faced a font I would write in a note in which situation a font would be used. For example:

01. Arial = Default, common. Use as a generic or general font. No personality.
02. Georgia = Fancy. Serious. Use in serious things as documents and warnings.
03. Times New Roman = Check out Georgia (02)
04. Courier New = Retro. Use in codes or as digital text. Nerdy.
05. Comic Sans (It's not available here so I used Arial anyways) = Funny. Kiddy. Use for joke purposes, as everyone seems to hate this font (Until a certain "Skeleton" get popular). Never use in serious text.

As long you do a list like this, you'll stop get lost searching for a fitting font for your project, game or text.

M

Misty

Chill, it's a joke. If you're making a space game, use a sci fi font. If you're making a mid evil game, use a calligraphy style font. Really, as long as you don't use the default font or wingdings, it'll probably be fine.
Dude you do know that flight sims use default, generic fonts like Arial, right? Which was included in GM8...

And your argument was that my flight sim should not use a default font...

This is in reference to your post in my other topic about fonts...

Also, telling me that space games should use sci fi....cmon man you Know you Know...cmon you No you are giving me silly captain obvious style advice...It's like asking "How do I make a 5-star restaurant?" "If it is french, use french food. If it is Italian, use Italian food"

P

Paolo Mazzon

Dude you do know that flight sims use default, generic fonts like Arial, right? Which was included in GM8..
Not taking a crack at your flight sim, it is relevant here since we are talking about fonts.

Also, telling me that space games should use sci fi....cmon man you Know you Know...cmon you No you are giving me silly captain obvious style advice...It's like asking "How do I make a 5-star restaurant?" "If it is french, use french food. If it is Italian, use Italian food"
I also feel this is a weak analogy, but I digress. The point I'm trying to get at is that no one here is going to be able to write an extensive guide on choosing fonts -- just pick one that suits your game style or make your own.

C

ConsolCWBY

Dude you do know that flight sims use default, generic fonts like Arial, right? Which was included in GM8...
Communism is not free, they make you work at a job you don't like to buy "stuff" you don't need...
"
I had a friend in the printing industry, and fonts can be tricky. That's why I suggested looking into the International Free stuff. The people are idealist Marxists (not all, just some) - but the fonts are free. I would look into Gentium or Liberation if I were you. Pretty clean and plain - much like Arial. But, if you want to use and distribute a font without being licensed, then the odds of the font's Foundry finding out is pretty low. Unless the international trade agreements in the future make it illegal. I doubt you have anything to worry about, but I'm too paranoid to use anything other than free or my own. Just my $0.02. Good luck with the sim!

Z

zircher

You can also find graphic design and layout books at the library and these can be really helpful if you do not have an expert opinion to tap.