• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Choosing a programming language

Z

Zaidan

should i learn javascript for scripting?.i really want to learn C++ but GML doesn't provide with C++.i know GML is roots with javascript and C,but is there any i can do with it so i can scripting using C++

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
I feel like you're going to get an overload of information here, especially since your last post was in June regarding learning GML.
I'd recommend learning a single language at first, you could also learn multiple that just depends on how well you study. At the end of the day if you're talking about doing instead of doing then that's really very little progress albeit it might still be progress.

It's more timely to just get going and program. Eventually if you're at a stage where you see the limitations of your current language, then you'll be able to confidently answer this question on your own.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
If you are talking about scripting for Gamemaker itself...GML itself IS the scripting language. The way you worded that I'm not sure what you are trying to script for.

Javascript and C++ are completely separate languages from GML, with different purposes. GML did take some influence from them, and others, and has some unique stuff.

So basically, if you are referring to scripting for the Gamemaker engine, GML is the language you learn and use. If you are talking about programming outside of Gamemaker, then I need to know more about your goals and what you are trying to do to have a better suggestion.

Jabbers

Learn C#. You can script with it in the Unity engine which bodes well if you want to have a career as a developer. Traditional GML syntax shares similarities with C#, so if you're already comfortable with GML it is a familiar transition.

What I did after I kind of felt I "mastered" GML and, mostly, the programming concepts in general, is I went away and spent a year on another engine, which shall not be named here, to learn to do c#, 3D stuff and finally be able to try a real-time debugger (that I miss a lot, lol).
Once you do that, you realise the principles themselves are all the same and that the language itself is just a means to an end, really.

Learn the language you want to use and that you're most comfortable with. Just dont think learning C# or whatever is the magic potion for anything, because it's really not.

If you like Game Maker, I'd say learn the heck out of GML. It'It's powerful enough for all your needs atm, I'm sure.