• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Chimeira: Meinhest

Canaroid

Hi all,

Here is my current project, a medieval fantasy metroidvania (not very original but... :p). It's a 2D platformer, in the Salt and Sanctuary genre, with mechanics borrowed from Dark Souls and other great games from the last few years.

Download:
You can test it here.

ingame domaine roi 2.png

Synopsis : The game takes place in the world of Asmoran, when the continent of men is at the height of its power, using magic in everyday life, both to cultivate the fields and to wage war. It tells the story of a woman who has lost her family and is seeking revenge, but who will find herself facing another woman, who has an army and immeasurable power...

Description : The game is a metroidvania, with an RPG aspect (management of its inventory and stats, as well as its spells). The character learns new spells by going through the levels and observing the attacks of his enemies, some of which allow him to access new areas. The scenario is meant to be engaging but above all modifiable, with several choices leading to different ends, and I'd like if possible that quests don't be omnipresent, that the player let himself be carried away by the story (so a clean HUD and no fedex quests).

If you got some time to spend on it I would be really happy to see your feedbacks ;)
Thanks for reading.

--NEW--
v0.01
I fixed one bug and improve the game:
-now the games don't crash when you try to level up
-the game is no more flagged as a virus by windows

v0.02
-camera improvement
-better resolution management
-new assets

v0.03
-first boss
-level design changes
-new assets
-adjustements (damage dealt by some ennemies, IA)

Last edited:

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

Graphics were quite nice.
Wasnt really big fan of those worms, they made those platforming sections really frustrating.
Using that raven to get rid of them was cool idea thought.
Almost gave up after falling many times, but i somehow made it :)

chimeraEnd.png

Pressing up didnt work in level up screen.
Got this error when i pressed "E" in level up screen:
of Step Event0
for object Node_selector:

REAL argument is unset
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
called from - gml_Object_Node_selector_Step_0 (line 144)

Canaroid

Hi, thanks for your feedback ! :)
-for the worms yes I need to do something different with them, I have several things in mind, I will change them in a major update.
-I didn't notice this bug in the level up room, thanks ! :) It should be fixed in the next update ^^ (this room will be modified in-depth in the future, I did the lvl up shpere grid one year ago and it definitily needs a revamp).

I'm currently adding new assets to have a coolest map, with a cavern "biome", and a new castle (always locked for now).
More content soon ! ;)

Canaroid

Heya, a new version is available !
The worms aren't changed yet but I added a boss and tried to make the level less frustrating ;)
There are also new enemies :)

pixeltroid

The game looks and plays well. Thanks for using WASD controls and not arrow keys.

The menus are unresponsive. Or at least I didn't know how to exit them.

After I found the first power up, I couldn't get out of the menu (the one where it says "choose your node" or something). I ended up seeing this error:

node.jpg

Canaroid

Ah yes, for the menus, I have still some problems for keyboard controls, for now shift if to exit the menus (should be escape but this key is also for dodge so it's complicated), and for the power up I didn't see this bug before, thanks for joining the error message, I'm going to investigate ;)
Thanks a lot for your feedbacks ! Next update should be next week end or in 2 weeks max ^^

C

Crimson

I checked out your demo, and I jotted down some notes as I played for about 20 minutes.

The crouch animation (using L3) is really fast, and there are two floating pixels above the head.
It would be nice if you could tell how far along your charge you are with your charge attack.
The skeleton above the cave entrance appears and instantly slashes at you, causing unavoidable damage unless you dodge through the innocuous spot.
There seems to be no midair attack, but you have enemies/hazards on the edges of tree branches over a death pit (high height.)
The use of the analog doesn't seem to add anything; the same functionality could be achieved with the d-pad.
The player needs to use the analogue stick for character movement, can use it in the main inventory menu, but is forced to use the d-pad in the sub-menus.
The camera doesn't show enough below you when platforming on trees; you need to make leaps of faith when descending (do you go straight down? do you go down-right? down-left?)
It requires precision jumping too early on (in the little cavern with the thorns,) and immediately afterwards, two crows that blend in with the background over death pits.
Your forward momentum is preserved when attacking at the edge of a ledge, causing you to go flying off to the side, usually landing in deadly spikes (this can be good, but the levels need to be designed around it, and not have the mechanic be a punishment for using the attack button on tree branches.)

I want to like it, but it's just not there yet.

Canaroid

Hey Crimson, thanks for taking the time to give me this detailed analysis!

The crouching animation isn't finished yet, I forgot to disable the key but I'll have to change it. We might be able to attack the enemies by surprise to do them some damage, but I'm still hesitating because it adds work.

For the charged attack it's a good idea, I think I'll use colors so we can see where we're at.

For the skeleton yes it's a trap, I agree on the fact that it can be frustrating, it's being balanced, I'm still thinking about it.

The absence of attack in the air is intentional, you can get it by beating the boss at the end of the demo. I tried to make it so that we can deal without it, but i'm aware that there are still some level design issues that can make the experience frustrating.

For the analog stick, it's currently used to manage the camera, and the d-pad keys will be shortcuts to use objects, it's not fully functional yet but it's in progress.

For the menus I'm aware of it, I try to work on it when I have time but it's not in the priorities.

Indeed the jumps can be difficult, I'm working on a system that makes the camera go down automatically when we jump, and we will also be able to lower it when we crouch. For the moment we have to try to look before we jump using the analog stick on the right and I admit that it is not always very practical.

For the rest there are still a lot of things to change in the level design, I think I'll rework the crows that are much too hard to fight. I might add a ground upwards attack, it will surely make fighting easier.

In any case thank you very much for this very detailed feedback, I hope that with the improvements I'll be able to make a game that you like ;)

Last edited: