• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Child-directed declaration - google play - admob

TibiSoft

Hi All,

I got a warning from Google that my app violates Primarily Child-Directed Declaration policy because it appears to be designed for use by children (even I did not tick the under 13 age box).
In fact they are right, as it is a simple math test app.
According to guidance there are plenty of restriction and says I should target ads to children. How is it possible with GM 1.4?
(Admob guide showed that the tagForChildDirectedTreatment should be set to true.)

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Tibi / TibiSoft

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You probably need to go into the ad extension and change some of the setup code. If you actually use Admob, go into the extension's Java file, find the line with the ad request builder and stick in tagForChildDirectedTreatment(true) as shown in Admob's documentation.

TibiSoft

You probably need to go into the ad extension and change some of the setup code. If you actually use Admob, go into the extension's Java file, find the line with the ad request builder and stick in tagForChildDirectedTreatment(true) as shown in Admob's documentation.
Thank you so much, I found that. However I do not JAVA unfortunately, so by using simple logic I put tagForChildDirected(true) or builder.tagForChildDirected(true); but both of them failed during compile.
Nevertheless I've read that setting child-directed declaration this value will be handled "true" anyway. Let's see and hope my app won't be banned by google... :)

K

KBeeeR

Thank you so much, I found that. However I do not JAVA unfortunately, so by using simple logic I put tagForChildDirected(true) or builder.tagForChildDirected(true); but both of them failed during compile.
Nevertheless I've read that setting child-directed declaration this value will be handled "true" anyway. Let's see and hope my app won't be banned by google... :)
do you mean that you didnt change anything inside the game and just added "the tick under 13 age box" ? does that work ?? im planning to make games for children under age 13

Pushloop

i have some apps that were automatically marked for kids by google. didnt change the code for that at all You only have to make sure the ads are COPPA and kids safe, so switch off all sensitive ads in admob, and mark the game is Primarily Child-Directed in google dev console / pricing destribution. Other ad networks can also be filtered for kids proof ads. Sometimes you have to email them, like vungle. For others it's just a tick box. TIP: If your game is targeted for the youngest family category, admob doesnt show ads, but facebook will.

TibiSoft

Finally I came into exactly that conclusion what Pushloop mentioned above. Just tick that box, and did everything as google requested at setting, no change in the APP itself.

Pushloop

Coming back to this, I think it's better to include the tags in the code too. For family safe ads or COPPA child directed ads, just to play it safe with google. I use an admob/firebase extension now which has these options.