1. Hey! Guest! The XXX GMC Jam will take place between August 24th, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and August 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code Check for the existence of a physics world?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Sinaz20, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Sinaz20

Sinaz20 Member GMC Elder

We can set the physics flag in the room. And we can use physics_world_create() to create a physics system in a room...

But it doesn't seem like we can check to see if a physics system currently exists.

I'd like to roll out an all-in-one pause solution, but calling physics_pause_enable() agnostically in a room that doesn't have a physics system throws an error.

How can I make a call to pause a physics system conditional on there actually being a physics system?

2. AlanDavison

AlanDavison Member

I thought I would have a quick look, but it doesn't even look like any of the physics functions return a value at all. I was hoping that one of the physics functions would return a true or a false based on whether a physics system exists or not, but it doesn't look like it does.

Looks like we just have to wait for the ability to catch exceptions so something doing something so simple doesn't force the game to crash.

Sinaz20 likes this.
  3. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

I always enable the physics world with a dedicated "physics controller" object, rather than using IDE check boxes. So if an instance of that object exists in a room, that room has a physics system by definition.

So you can check with the instance_exists() function, before calling physics_pause_enable().

(Or use the with() construct for the controller instance, if it exists in the room.)

Sinaz20, Toque and MarceloP like this.
  4. Sinaz20

Sinaz20 Member GMC Elder

@chance Thanks- that's a great solution and actually more in line with how I am developing other aspects of my project.

MarceloP likes this.