Character Sprite Customisation?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Mark030295, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Mark030295

Mark030295 Guest

Hello,

I am looking at making a game that involves customisation. What I would like is for the user to choose a base sprite (like a featureless person or something), then choose additional decorations that will be added onto the sprite (flapping wings, flowing hair, etc.). What I'm not sure about is how to go about combining multiple sprites with their own animations into one composite sprite.

Is this possible, and if so how would I go about doing it?

thanks!

2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

You can draw as many sprites as you want in a Draw event using functions from the draw_sprite* family. What you draw first will be below the sprites you draw later. If you get a good draw order going so that nothing overlaps things it's not supposed to overlap, nothing will stand in your way of making this apart from the sprite portions you'll have to create.

3. Mark030295

Mark030295 Guest

I tried just putting draw_sprite functions in for what I wanted which worked for showing them on screen, but they don't have any animation.

4. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

Take a look at the manual entry of draw_sprite. There's one argument that lets you specify which subimage to draw, and plugging a variable with an ever-increasing value into that might just make that work too.

5. Mark030295

Mark030295 Guest

That was a good idea! It seems to have done the trick.

Thanks TsukaYuriko!