Character not showing up.

I

izark

HI. I am using a simple text engine.

I copy individuals characters ( string_copy{ original_string,position,1 } ) from the original string to
the final string, and draw this string. Each time I copy a character, a counter increase by 1.
if the counter reaches 30 and a space " " is found, then I insert "#"
in the last string to generate a new line. Very simple and works.

The problem is special characters are not showing up in the final string, for example á à ....

Why is this happening. I used fonts like Arial, which support multi-language. And other fonts...
Thank you.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
You also need to make sure the font's range includes the characters - by default, only the ASCII default range is included in the texture pages. Use the "+" button and you can add more ranges to the default one (If you're using a lot of special characters, there's also a "from code" button that includes all the characters you use in strings in your game file and a "from file" button that includes all characters used in a text file, both kinda handy depending on where you store your game text)
upload_2016-8-25_11-41-2.png

I

izark

You also need to make sure the font's range includes the characters - by default, only the ASCII default range is included in the texture pages. Use the "+" button and you can add more ranges to the default one (If you're using a lot of special characters, there's also a "from code" button that includes all the characters you use in strings in your game file and a "from file" button that includes all characters used in a text file, both kinda handy depending on where you store your game text)
View attachment 2307
Many thanks, these characters are showing up now in the original string. But in the final string the same characters are still missing.
They use the exact same font. String_copy is destroying them? I don´t understand. Every other character appear
properly, and special characters are missing. I am using an .ini file where all the text for the game is written, using
indexes. :( Any ideas?

I

izark

Ok, I found the problem. Reading through the help files I found this:
Please note that for games with localizations it is very important that accented letters can be read from external files. This means that you should create the ini file in UTF8 format first and then add it into GameMaker.
It is working now. :)