• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Objects Character Asset Pack

samspade

Available for both GMS 1 and GMS 2

Description

Comprehensive and easy to use, this pack is a great foundation for creating a great side-scrolling platformer player object. It contains over 40 character movement abilities for a 2D platformer ranging from simple to complex. If you buy the pack and the movement ability you were hoping for is not included, let me know.

This pack is meant for beginner to intermediate level coders and designed to be comprehensive and easy to use. In addition to clean and commented code, each movement ability is separated into a single player object so the code for that ability is easy to isolate, understand, and import in to an existing project. All of these simplified player objects are set up to require no scripts, code is in line for easy reading. There are also three sample player objects which combine multiple player abilities into a single character.

This Pack Contains:
  • 40+ Character Abilities, including
  • Variable High Jumping
  • Dashing
  • Super Dash
  • Wall slide, jump, and climb
  • Hovering
  • Jetpack
  • Stamina
  • Simplified buoyancy physics (does not use physics systems)
  • Delta Time Example (GMS 2 Only)
  • And more (see end of video for a full list)
  • A simplified menu system
  • Clean Comment Code

Important notes:

• The art in this pack is included.
  • This pack does not have sound.
  • The code is designed to be used as a learning tool and easy to transfer to other projects. Therefore, certain good coding practices (such as enums for state machines) were not used.

• Contact me with questions as I will provide continuing support.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/6323/character-asset-pack

M

Marcus12321

Just bought it. Going to test in a bit, or in the morning. :)
Amon,

Are you the same Amon that used to frequent the BlitzMax forums years ago? Just curious, same user name and pic. :) I quit there years ago. Just thought it was funny to see somebody I recognized here.

Amon

Hi. Could a way be implemented so that when falling you can't jump? Currently using the basic walk/jump code and when I walk off one tile onto one below and hit jump it can jump whilst in the middle of the air.

samspade

Hi. Could a way be implemented so that when falling you can't jump? Currently using the basic walk/jump code and when I walk off one tile onto one below and hit jump it can jump whilst in the middle of the air.
If you're talking about obj_player_basic, then add the following to the end of the WALK state:

Code:
        if (!place_meeting(x, y + 1, parent_solid)) {
            state = JUMP;
        }
You can find an example of what you're looking for I think with obj_player_jump_variable.

Essentially, the obj_player_basic is so basic it doesn't actually switch to the jump state unless you jump. So when you walk off of a ledge you are still in the walk state. And while in the walk state you can jump. The above code makes it so the player switches to the jump state if they aren't on a solid ground.