SOLVED Changing Sprite (Animated ON/OFF Button)

Telorr

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here
I need your help

I want make a object (oButton) which when I click it in OFF condition, it will change to ON condition and vice versa.
But, i can't make it. I can't set the animation precisely. It will loop continuously.
This sprite has a total of 24 frames. Frame 1 for OFF condition and frame 24 for ON condition.
I want the default condition is OFF (frame 1) and will change to ON (frame 24) when I click this button.

Help me, Mastah!
Thank you

Slyddar

To clarify, do you want the frames in between to play through each time you switch it, or is it frame 1 is set when it's off, and frame 24 will be set when it's on, with no animation in between?

Telorr

Yes, I want the animation play through each time I switch it.
There is an animation between frame 1 and 24.

Slyddar

There is an animation between frame 1 and 24.
So does the animation from 1 to 24 to turn it on, need to play in reverse to turn it off?
On is the animation from 1 to 24, and stops at 24. Off is the animation from 24 to 1 and stops at 1. Just need clarification before advising the best way.

Hmm, my approach would be the following:
GML:
// CREATE EVENT
animate = false;
animation_direction = 1;
frame = 0;

// STEP EVENT
if (trigger_button_conditional) {

animate = true; // Once the button is set to be triggered, then we turn on the 'animate' variable

// We'll assume that if not at frame 0 when triggered, it should go to 0
    animation_direction = 1;

if (frame > 0) {
        animation_direction = -1;
    }

trigger_button_conditional = false; // You have to turn off the conditional, otherwise this code will be executed many times!
   // You can also change the conditional of this block to be 'if (trigger_button_conditional && !animate) {...}', in case you don't want to turn off the conditional
}

if (animate) { // When the button is set to animate, change frames

// Switch to the next frame
    frame += animation_direction;

if (frame == 0 || frame == sprite_get_number(sprite_index)) { // The animation has reached its end

// End animation (note that sprite_get_number(sprite_index), in your case, should return 24, but a generic code is preferable, in my opinion)
        animate = false;
    }

}

Then, you only would have to draw using the variable 'frame' as the subimage index. This is a fast-made code, so some optimitzation may be required. Hope it helps!

Last edited:

Telorr

So does the animation from 1 to 24 to turn it on, need to play in reverse to turn it off?
On is the animation from 1 to 24, and stops at 24. Off is the animation from 24 to 1 and stops at 1. Just need clarification before advising the best way.
Yes it is. Sorry for late reply

Telorr

Hmm, my approach would be the following:
GML:
// CREATE EVENT
animate = false;
animation_direction = 1;
frame = 0;

// STEP EVENT
if (trigger_button_conditional) {

animate = true; // Once the button is set to be triggered, then we turn on the 'animate' variable

// We'll assume that if not at frame 0 when triggered, it should go to 0
    animation_direction = 1;

if (frame > 0) {
        animation_direction = -1;
    }

trigger_button_conditional = false; // You have to turn off the conditional, otherwise this code will be executed many times!
   // You can also change the conditional of this block to be 'if (trigger_button_conditional && !animate) {...}', in case you don't want to turn off the conditional
}

if (animate) { // When the button is set to animate, change frames

// Switch to the next frame
    frame += animation_direction;

if (frame == 0 || frame == sprite_get_number(sprite_index)) { // The animation has reached its end

// End animation (note that sprite_get_number(sprite_index), in your case, should return 24, but a generic code is preferable, in my opinion)
        animate = false;
    }

}

Then, you only would have to draw using the variable 'frame' as the subimage index. This is a fast-made code, so some optimitzation may be required. Hope it helps!
This code give me an overview.
I changed few line from your code and it worked perfectly.
Thank you very much for your help!