• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Changing Perspectives

K

Klaus Von Sturmgeist

Hello all, I'm new to game making and I'm looking to make my first simple game, this game is going to start off as a simple open world game where you can basically just walk around and that's it but over time I'll add more features as I get better. One of the ideas I'd like to incorporate down the line is changing Perspectives. For example, you're walking down the street in a top down perspective similar to games like Pokemon and undertale. You take a turn into a narrow alley or tunnel and the view changes to a side view similar to a game like streets of rage. You exit the alley and view returns to normal top down perspective. If I ever decided to incorporate driving I thought about the view switching from a top down view to a snes style faux 3d effect where you drive around like Mario kart or something of that nature. Would either one be possible in game maker? I don't currently have a computer set up due to just moving to a new house and I'm new to game making. I don't expect this to turn out perfectly that's why I'm going to add things in stages rather than expect my idea to come alive all at once. First build a small part of the world and make it explorable, add more areas as I go, add characters, traffic, day night cycle, weather, enemies, stuff like that later on as I learn. Any help would be appreciated :3

RangerX

It's possible yes but not something you will do at first indeed. For smooth perspective changing, you'd need to make a 3D game (lot more complicated than a simple 2D game).
Else you can change perspective but its nothing different than passing from level A to B. Per example, Contra on the NES or SNES.

K

Klaus Von Sturmgeist

It's possible yes but not something you will do at first indeed. For smooth perspective changing, you'd need to make a 3D game (lot more complicated than a simple 2D game).
Else you can change perspective but its nothing different than passing from level A to B. Per example, Contra on the NES or SNES.
I don't know if I'll do the thing with driving, I'd basically have to create two worlds and assets for both and load between them every time you got in or out of a vehicle. The one with going from top down to side view for certain areas sounds a lot easier. Like if you entered the alley it would go to a quick loading screen and then present the alley in a side view. This could also be done for other narrow areas as well, it could be done as segways to other more open areas or in between parts of the map. I'm not ready for a 3d game yet lol