• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Changing asset names not through IDE

kupo15

I want to change my naming convention of my character sprites but there is around 1000 of them and going through the ide one by one will take a long time. Is there a way I can edit the names without doing that like is there a text file of some kind GM uses I'm able to edit instead? This way I can control F and mass replace shared similar names throughout. It would cut down the work by 1/6 if able to.

Roldy

I want to change my naming convention of my character sprites but there is around 1000 of them and going through the ide one by one will take a long time. Is there a way I can edit the names without doing that like is there a text file of some kind GM uses I'm able to edit instead? This way I can control F and mass replace shared similar names throughout. It would cut down the work by 1/6 if able to.

all the .yy files are text files. If this is something you are planning to do often it might be worth your time figuring out the file structures (they are straight forward) and writing a script to do this for you. But if it is just a one time thing I bet you could get it down faster and more confidently just doing it through the IDE.

The project .yy file, the individual source file names and corresponding .yy files would need to be touched. Just look through those and you should be able to figure it out easily.

kupo15

all the .yy files are text files. If this is something you are planning to do often it might be worth your time figuring out the file structures (they are straight forward) and writing a script to do this for you. But if it is just a one time thing I bet you could get it down faster and more confidently just doing it through the IDE.

The project .yy file, the individual source file names and corresponding .yy files would need to be touched. Just look through those and you should be able to figure it out easily.
Ok good, so I just open the actual file with notepad and change the sprites I need. Awesome! Maybe it might be better going through the IDE just to be safe but I think I should be able to edit both the name and and path and it should be good. You really think I could get through 800-1000 sprites through the ide quicker? This should be the only time I change the names, its kinda OCD of me I guess but I basically want to remove and combine the names so char4_jump_back to char4_jumpBack. And I have 9 characters right now so the only thing different is the char*_ so that's why I was thinking about editing it directly

1601508617001.png

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I suggest using a text editor (e.g Sublime Text, Notepad++) that allows you to search and replace across entire folders. This way, you can rename the sprite both in the resource tree as well as in any room/sequence/etc. that uses it in a single sweep (well, one per rename, so that's still ~1000 of them). Much faster than doing it within the IDE, though, as in-IDE resource name updates unfortunately don't propagate into code.

kupo15

that was the original plan! I did a test run with one sprite renaming both the sprite and path, the save/reload thing popped up as expected, I hit reload and it couldn't find the sprite. I probably did something wrong but I ended up manually doing the IDE. Roldy you were right, it only took like an hour tops and went by super quick

It would be nice to know what I did wrong with replacing the file directly though