Change pixel resolution of a background_layer?

A

Adry

Hi GM community! I'm fairly new to programming but was wondering if any one could help me out a bit with this conundrum of an issue..
I have a game that is 160 x 140. However I have set the window size to (380 x 340) which is a 3x magnification for the pixel art. now my question is this..
Is there any way to make my background display with the 160 x 140 resolution? Rather than being 3x magnified. Here is my code so far..

GML:
/// @description Insert description here
// You can write your code in this editor
BG_Random = choose(battle_bg_c, battle_bg_c,);
var lay_id = layer_get_id("Backgrounds_1");
var back_id = layer_background_get_id(lay_id);
layer_background_xscale(back_id, 1);
layer_background_yscale(back_id, 1);
layer_background_sprite(back_id, BG_Random);
P.S the xscale / yscale if set to .5 changes the size of the bg, but the pixels remain faithfully 3x magnified so it just comes out distorted.. Any advice?

sp202

That's not a 3x magnification, that would be 480x420. If you want the background to maintain its size then set scale to 1/3.

TheouAegis

If you don't resize the application surface, then it will get scaled up to fill the window. That means you can't draw the background to the application_surface. Otherwise you resize the application_surface to the size ofnthe window and have everything else other than the bg drawn at 3x scale.

S

SeungYup0206

If you the want the background to maintain its size then set scale to 1/3
This answer may not be accurate.

A

Adry

If you don't resize the application surface, then it will get scaled up to fill the window. That means you can't draw the background to the application_surface. Otherwise you resize the application_surface to the size ofnthe window and have everything else other than the bg drawn at 3x scale.
I think you are on the right track with this! how would I exclude the bg from being drawn to the application_surface?
I've run into surfaces before mostly when messing with shaders, but I'm still pretty unfamiliar with how exactly they function..
So I'm gonna' hit up YouTube to see if I can get a run down! I appreciate your comment :)

TheouAegis

I don't know if the application surface can get cleared with zero opacity, but if I can, you could draw the background directly to the window itself in the predraw event. Keep in mind if you do this, it's using window coordinates, not room coordinates.