• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Change application volume in Windows

Hello all! For my project, I am using an external DLL for playing music, but unfortunately every time a new song is played, the game volume changes to about 40% of the maximum volume (in Windows Volume control). This means that the game always has a fixed volume compared to other applications, and whenever the user attempts to change this "relative" volume, it is reverted to about 40% whenever a new song starts. This makes it very annoying when in a voice call, for example, because the game ends up being too loud and you cannot change its volume in Volume Control like you would with any other application.

Does anyone know if there's a way to change this Windows volume in Game Maker? I already tried audio_set_master_gain and sound_global_volume but those didn't do the trick. Many thanks in advance!

Zechevalier

That sounds weird, i'm pretty sure you can't alter those settings within the code of the game. It sounds like either a weird problem with the DLL or your operating system.

It's certainly a problem with the DLL, yes, but I don't think I can change that, so I was wondering if Game Maker allows some kind of workaround.

I already tried that one actually! It works perfectly in a fresh file but for some reason it fails to play any music in my project, even when it's in a completely blank room. I even tried making this the first room in the game to prevent any other code from executing first, but it still won't play anything, so I'm stuck with these DLLs for now sadly (unless you know a fix for this issue).