Cell-arium:V Venture into the body

F

Frozen Stick

Cellarium:

Welcome to the body!

Cell-arium is a game about a rare virus that is mostly found on mummies.An archaeologist discovers this virus and blah blah blah not important!
This is the first project me and my brother have started together!
This is the very first prototype and many things are not completed so please give us
feedback!
Also kill the boss with 'J' button.
Here a screen shot:

Also click the big V to download.
Easter egg(?):

If you wait until the main menu's music is played 2 times you will hear a nice ambient music.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yambam

Sorry for losing your game from the site. There were some major server problems, so I restored the site to a 1 month and a half old backup... The game's new link is here: http://gamemaker.mooo.com/games/229677-cell-arium-v

I can't play it on my computer. Its graphics card is too old. For example it doesn't support higher than GL 2.0. :p

Code:
############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in Fragment Shader compilation
ShaderName: sh_CRT

C:\Users\nolan\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\memory(187,4): error X5608: Compiled shader code uses too many arithmetic instruction slots (255). Max. allowed by the target (ps_2_0) is 64.
(1,1): error X5609: Compiled shader code uses too many instruction slots (263). Max. allowed by the target (ps_2_0) is 96.

############################################################################################
Hey why does your game have an installer icon while it is just an executable? xD

It's a fun game overall (I played it a while ago on another computer), it's a little short though. I could help you with programming or making more content or ideas maybe. If you want. :)

Last edited:
Ohai~! Alexander here!

I tried out your game, and I can fairly say that... It's good, and it has potential.

I won't spend too much time, no questioning about what the game is about, and I'll say it in just a few words, so let's go.

Before we begin, I noticed that the game uses an installer icon. At first, I thought that this was an installer application for the game, but it's not. So... why? You could've used the Big Red V. Or the virus itself. Or the fallopian tube thing (which I honestly think looked really cool) on the menu screen. Anything from the game but an installer.

The thing I noticed when I opened the game is that the menu is... different. You use the "Left", uh, actually, Right Arrow Key to select from the menu. You cannot go back to the last option, so you had to keep pressing the Right Arrow Key if you want to go back. And of course, you press Enter key to choose from the menu. Why does it have to be monotonous? But I guess I can let it slide, because it's not that annoying. It feels satisfying when I see the animations. :D Well, it gets annoying when you get used to the animations.

By the way, I checked out the Read me.txt file, and there's not much information; it only says "by Xeldious", tells me about the menu controls, and that's it. Not enough information will get me and many people into trouble later on this game. You'll see later. Anyway, moving on to the main game.

I started the game, something falls from something into something and turns into something. Nice. Oh, look! Some text, let read what it says-- Oh, it disappeared quickly. Not everyone can read English text fast. And even if they can, the text disappears too quick, so they don't have much chance for them to read it. I think these texts should only disappear when a key is pressed, so that slow readers will be able to follow along, and everyone will be able to play your game.

Speaking of pressing keys, I was pressing some keys in-game, and when I pressed "S", somehow, I got stuck under the floor! Somehow, I turned into an indescribable green object. Literally. What is this for? Not angry, but I'm confused and wondering. And also... you move by pressing A and D, jump by pressing W, attack by clicking the Left mouse button. You won't know these controls if you can't read the text that disappears too fast, and that's my problem with the text, and that's also my problem with the Read me.txt file. The Read me.txt file doesn't show the controls, and this leaves the players on their own, since there will be a moment in the future when you'll load a saved game and there will be no text to tell you the controls because of your progress throughout the game. tl;dr, The Read me.txt should show all the controls for the game.

So now I talk to these strange-looking cells. I'll agree, they look strange, rather because they don't look like cells at all. You tell them that you're looking for a exit, and they tell you that the only exit is the one in front of you, and it's closed. They tell you that you need to open it by going to some room below the hair. When you accept to open the gate, they just tell you to go for it, and when you don't, they literally say, "Well screw you!". Isn't that odd?

So now, I went to the... "Gel"... [I'm not gonna do it!] I pressed "E", and went down. And there was some sort of white paper-y virus sucking me, the music changes. What's funny here is that you actually hear someone swearing in a high-pitched voice. And oh, after the music reaches the end of the song, the music stops and no music plays. Anyway, nothing tells you what to do at this point, you have to know that you have to shoot. Now it's telling you to go back.

And now, the boss, or so I think. (Why else would the music change?)

I've spent an hour playing this part, and I'm still stuck. How do you kill this boss? He's impossible and invincible. I've tried hitting it from every angle, hitting any possible vulnerable position, but it just stood there waving around, spinning and spawning more of those green parasitic things that don't disappear, sometimes causing the game to lag. It can't die, so you can't die either. Is killing these green things damaging the boss? I need a boss health bar. I need the text to, I dunno, give me hints or something to proceed. But this is the "Prototype 0.1", the "[Demo]", so that should be expected.

Also, the window resolution for me is so large that I had to use the auto-hide. It's not really a problem or anything, and it doesn't ruin the main gameplay at all, because I only used the auto-hide to read some stuff the taskbar is covering (the copyright text on the menu).

Now I'm done talking about the gameplay. So let's talk about the music.

And, yes. I have tried the Ambient Music Easter Egg. The Ambient Music is really eerie, and it feels very surreal. After you've activated this Easter egg, the ambient music will loop endlessly, and I like that, because it actually sounds better when used on the menu screen, than the actual menu theme used, which is kinda silly. The first soundtrack is very, um, bizarre. It has some ancient feel to it, with the added style of Donkey Kong Country but the boss theme is--

Knock knock, it's chiptune. I like how this soundtrack is used when you interact with cells.

Anyway, the boss theme is different: It's Techno! A very deep techno, and it's an interesting thing, because that's something every Frozen Stick has, after all. :p
(jk but seriously)

The soundtrack is decent, and it suits the gameplay very well. It tries to experiment with the environment, and like I said before, it's interesting. Very great! We got ambient music, techno, the jungle music (i dunno what it's called), and chiptune, I hope to hear more soundtracks in the future releases!

And finally, the graphics. It looks smooth, and nice. I don't know what that thing from the menu screen is though, and frankly I don't care. But I couldn't just say that the in-game graphics will stay the same because it's just the [Demo] version.

Look, I spent two days writing this post, I lied about saying this in a few words, and I enjoyed playing the game. If it wasn't because of some of the minor flaws, I think I'll be enjoying the game even more. But this is the [Demo] version, so it's excusable. This game actually reminds me of Metroid, because of that "Gel" thing, and the soundtrack. I like it. The game has decent music, great graphics, and interesting gameplay. You're doing a great job with this game.

See you later!

-Alexander James

F

Frozen Stick

Well hey there!Thanks for tying out my game ;)
And srs that's one long review!GG :D

Well I never actually worked on the icon of the game so oops!

I Guess I have to work on the main menu again :)

I made a readme.txt file well I have to write those things!what am I always rushing.

Oh yeah the 'S'...Forgot about that :\ the text is annoying I agree...Have to make it's life longer.

The cells....Well I dunno they are kinda weird,Because they aren't cells.i could remake the speech.

music glitch well got to fix that.

yeah the boss is invincible.I didn't add the 'Special powers' thingies so oops!Just press 'F'.

I like how you like the soundtrack!:D But why every but hate the actual menu theme :( My brother made it with the ambient thing.I like it though :D

Again thanks for writing that and thanks for playing!