Cave creation

NightFrost

Well, it is cellurar automata generation. Downsides are, it looks somewhat samey no matter where in the generated dungeon you stand if you don't spice it up with other generated content, and you cannot control the connectedness of its parts unless you do extra work for it.

S

steveyg90

Walkable parts are any of the tiles, player can walk over them and jump about. This was created with 3 iterations of my cellular automata. Do agree it does give samey results. Was just doing this to see if I could port my Java code to GML. I guess there are other things you could add to the generation after the cellular automata part, but not sure what yet - Terraria obviously does a lot of stuff and creates biomes etc.

Not sure were I'm going with this as there are quite a lot of games that follow concepts from Terraria, may just park it up and do something else. It is finding a good original idea which is the difficult part. Some simple games out
there but they were original and have done very well.

S

steveyg90

Which is the walkable part? Maybe it needs to be connected a bit more.
Can make it more connected with a few tweeks to the code or by having some more code after the cellular automata which looks for big gaps and fills them in or something...

Simon Gust

Walkable parts are any of the tiles, player can walk over them and jump about. This was created with 3 iterations of my cellular automata. Do agree it does give samey results. Was just doing this to see if I could port my Java code to GML. I guess there are other things you could add to the generation after the cellular automata part, but not sure what yet - Terraria obviously does a lot of stuff and creates biomes etc.
You would really have to spice up your cellular automata if you want to get Terraria-like results. Terraria does not have any cellular automata in the world generation code, it has tilerunners. They are like worms that eat (or vomit up) through the terrain in more or less random ways, most biomes (if not all) are all just variations of tilerunners.

S

steveyg90

You would really have to spice up your cellular automata if you want to get Terraria-like results. Terraria does not have any cellular automata in the world generation code, it has tilerunners. They are like worms that eat (or vomit up) through the terrain in more or less random ways, most biomes (if not all) are all just variations of tilerunners.
Tilerunners? I've never heard of those. Not going to take this any further as would never get the results Terraria does in time I've got.