Castlevania style sprites

NimNom1234

Alright
So I've been developing this Castlevania game but I kind of want to make it into my own title.
I've been trying to learn pixel art but all the tutorials dont seem to get to the point.
In short, I want to make some Castlevania style sprites. I can't find any tutorials about this sort of thing around on the internet. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

M

michelle

I remember many years ago there was a program called 'pixal art", that allowed one to make such things, however it was limited in spaces, and no way to increase the overall size.
I think it was designed to originally be used for icons, but I used it in other graphics long ago, and liked it because it would allow close up detail.
I probably still have a copy of it stored away on a disc somewhere.

I remember many years ago there was a program called 'pixal art", that allowed one to make such things, however it was limited in spaces, and no way to increase the overall size.
I think it was designed to originally be used for icons, but I used it in other graphics long ago, and liked it because it would allow close up detail.
I probably still have a copy of it stored away on a disc somewhere.
How do you have zero posts?

Anyway... Did you mean CastleVania NES style, CastleVania SNES style, GBA style or some other style? CastleVania has spanned decades and modified styles.

CastleVania always had side view sprites and more realistic proportions compared to Mega Man and Mario. Then again someone can prove me wrong. You could probably just take a look at people walking or animals walking or birds flying and pixel art from that. They also had outlines.

Last edited:

NimNom1234

How do you have zero posts?

Anyway... Did you mean CastleVania NES style, CastleVania SNES style, GBA style or some other style? CastleVania has spanned decades and modified styles.

CastleVania always had side view sprites and more realistic proportions compared to Mega Man and Mario. Then again someone can prove me wrong. You could probably just take a look at people walking or animals walking or birds flying and pixel art from that. They also had outlines.
I mostly meant the style of the GBA games and SOTN

Tutorials don't "get to the point" because there is no "the point" to get to for making sprites like these. The artists who made these sprites were professionals with years and years of drawing experience. There's no magic shortcut to your problem. Go practice drawing for a few years, and see how you do then. :p

GraphicsGale is free and is what I prefer for pixel art animations. I'd suggest learning to draw with a pencil first, though. If you want to dive right in to making sprites, you can do that too. I think that's a bad way to start, though. Anyway, if you want to learn to draw, all you have to do is study what you want to draw and then draw it.

pixelation.org has a lot of good info on pixelart, too.

D

Deleted member 13992

Between how do you make sprites technically, and artistically, I think you mean the former?

A pixel art style is not really something you can "switch on" after reading a tutorial. I think you'll have much better luck if you find some good general style pixel art tutorials to understand shading, silhouettes, tiling and tile variation, contrast, color, etc. Then after practicing some general tutorials, analyze Castlevania sprites as to what makes them special, like somebody else wrote.

Then focus on a single problem, like a door, then a wall with some trimming and variation. Then the background with lower contrast/lower color count.

I think mimicking a style short of straight copying it already requires some ability with "general style" pixel art. Doesn't need years of experience, but a bit. Just start dropping some pixels down disregarding the style, and see what works and what doesn't.