• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

CastleBound - A 2D action-adventure game

B

Bedlam

CastleBound is a 2D Action Platformer with a touch life/farm simulation akin to Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. Journey out into the world to fight monsters and discover treasure in a Metroidvania style adventure, or build a home, raise livestock, and farm crops at your own leisure. The choice is yours.

gameplay trailer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/373645899/castlebound

I just put this up on kickstarter but it hasn't really attracted much attention. Feedback is welcome. This is course made in Game Maker.

Screenshots:

RangerX

Wow, I love this project. You really have something cool going on and props to your artists, its looks amazing.
I will keep my eyes on this one. I love Harvest Moon-ish games and 2D actions RPGs.

B

Bedlam

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I actually did all the artwork for it as well as the programming.

Bingdom

Googledom
Graphics look great.

I hope I'm allowed to criticise here, but you might want to touch up the walking animation a bit though, it looks like he's stomping on the spot. Also, it looks more like Terraria than any of those games you mentioned (judging by the trailer). :)

For advice about the Kickstarter, don't just post here. Spread the word! Marketing is very powerful.

Last edited:
B

Bedlam

Graphics look great.

I hope I'm allowed to criticise here, but you might want to touch up the walking animation a bit though, it looks like he's stomping on the spot. Also, it looks more like Terraria than any of those games you mentioned (judging by the trailer). :)

For advice about the Kickstarter, don't just post here. Spread the word! Marketing is very powerful.
Thanks. Yeah any feedback is welcome. I love Terraria, but this game doesn't have randomly generated levels. Everything is made by hand.

Looks really nice. This is probably just my personal preference with regards to the video, and that is it took over 2 minutes of combat footage before getting to see anything to do with world exploration, farming, resources, etc. I would trim down the first half of the video to just be the really cool/interesting bits (some melee combat, the spells, and that awesome arrow shot over the tower) to catch the interest of people straight away.

Again, just personal opinion. But overall really liking the quality and amount of work that looks to have gone into this already.

B

Bedlam

Looks really nice. This is probably just my personal preference with regards to the video, and that is it took over 2 minutes of combat footage before getting to see anything to do with world exploration, farming, resources, etc. I would trim down the first half of the video to just be the really cool/interesting bits (some melee combat, the spells, and that awesome arrow shot over the tower) to catch the interest of people straight away.

Again, just personal opinion. But overall really liking the quality and amount of work that looks to have gone into this already.
Thanks. Yeah that's a good point, if someone wasn't interested in combat they might close the video before they see the other stuff. I don't know if I'm going to be able to edit that video though, because the music kinda goes along with whats happening, and the music is the one thing I didn't do. When I do another trailer I'll definitely keep that in mind.

RangerX

It depends how much you game focuses on other gameplay.
I mean, if you're 80% combat and 20% farming, the trailer could be the same ratio after all. (but maybe just spread the footage better)

Jase217

This looks nicely done and well polished with a nice pixel art style too, I am definitely getting a terraria vibe from the way it looks as well as the way you've done the swing animations, which is not really a bad thing but it does make it look a little stiff. Great work regardless, good luck on your kickstarter!

E

elkranio

I am getting zx spectrum vibes for some reason. Keep up the good work.

It depends how much you game focuses on other gameplay.
I mean, if you're 80% combat and 20% farming, the trailer could be the same ratio after all. (but maybe just spread the footage better)
If anything, just shorten the "trailer" up a bit - you should show most of the interesting parts in about 60 seconds or so. It will grab people better and get them interested.

Then, you can have additional longer gameplay videos (as long as you want).

Looking great, shared your KS project on my Twitter!

B

Bedlam

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get a new version of the trailer going.

D

Dublan

Wow!! Is clear that there is a lot of effort and work on It! Gratz!!!!

In which platform will be released?

And regarding the trailer, I agree with the other members, It should be shorter and showing in the first seconds all the main content

B

Bedlam

Wow!! Is clear that there is a lot of effort and work on It! Gratz!!!!

In which platform will be released?

And regarding the trailer, I agree with the other members, It should be shorter and showing in the first seconds all the main content
Thanks. Right now it's just for PC/windows

Ladi_Pix3l

I should be jealous here but I'm not. Everybody has their own style of pixel art and yours good sir is quite pleasing to the eye. I'll be looking out for this game for sure o_O

Lot of attention to detail put in this one, I can tell.
The little things is what makes the game stand out to me.
Looks great, keep it up.