Discussion Carpal Tunnel Experiences

MissingNo.

Considering what forum we are on I imagine more than a few of you had RSI or Carpal Tunnel problems.

For me it has mostly been numb/ swelled fingers along with stinging. I eventually decided about 2 weeks ago to take a week and half off before things got much worse but not long after I tried using my right hand again it started getting swelled again. I have been taking steps to improve my hand posture by relaxing my hand over the mouse instead of gripping it and making sure my wrist and arm are in line with the mouse and it has helped but not as much as I would have liked.

If anyone is curious this is my mouse:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51YmXnOjhEL._SY355_.jpg
It's a Razer rz01-0078.

Please share your Carpal Tunnel / RSI experiences of how it effected you and what you did to recover.
Share setups, exercises and whatever you did to improve your computer use.

Last edited:

MissingNo.

Never experienced it thankfully in nearly four decades of regular computer use.
I never experienced it until this past year, before that I never experienced it in my life. Thankfully it has not gotten to the point where it is critical.
But that is because I'm actively trying to keep it from getting worse. Mind sharing or at least describing your desk and mouse setup?
I want to see what is working for others. And also hopefully by people sharing their experiences it might help some of the others on the forum.

Also I just bought a new desk, because my current one was a tall older style desk. I think my desk is the biggest problem because I cannot properly put my legs under the desk
because of the low hanging drawers, so it leads to me having to sit further away from my desk, on top of that since my desk is so tall I cannot sit high enough to a point where
my mouse and keyboard are low enough to my body, leading to my arms being bent upwards a lot, and there is no keyboard tray so that is why I have to keep my mouse and keyboard on
the top of my desk which is high to begin with.

So I ended up ordering this desk:
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/latitude-run-buff-computer-desk-latd2110.html
Hopefully once I get it in the mail it will drastically improve things with the keyboard tray and the ability to sit closer to the desk by it allowing me to put my legs under the desk.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
The new desk looks more comfortable than what you've been using. Hope it helps.

On the other hand (pun intended), repetitive motion over long periods, regardless of wrist position, may still cause problems. Maybe you can vary the mouse position day to day -- like holding it further or closer, shifted left or right (but still on same side of keyboard). That changes the angle between your wrist and palm.

However, I'm not a medical doctor so my advice may not help. But it works for me.

May want a wrist pad for the mouse too. Something like this. Just don't get pink. Because that would be creepy.

MissingNo.

On the other hand (pun intended), repetitive motion over long periods, regardless of wrist position, may still cause problems. Maybe you can vary the mouse position day to day -- like holding it further or closer, shifted left or right (but still on same side of keyboard). That changes the angle between your wrist and palm.
I will definitely consider that once I get my new desk, currently any position is crap so I'll wait to do that.

I am curious though Chance, have you had any experiences with pain in your hand and what was it like? I ask because this topic isn't just about me but everyone's experiences with RSI in general.

G

GVmG

(Keyboard-based) rhythm game player here.

I am honestly unsure of how my wrists haven't fallen off yet. Not a single symptom of carpal tunnel, RSI, nothing.

On the other hand (heh) my mom does have carpal tunnel. She had to wear a wrist band for quite a long time when I was younger, but according to her it didn't do much, and as soon as she tried to do something even remotely tiring it started to hurt and swell.

She tries to use it less but sometimes it hurts regardless, and she has to take painkillers. She does not use the wrist band anymore. She had another arm stabilizing thing recently when she broke it and dislocated her shoulder, but that also didn't help.

MissingNo.

(Keyboard-based) rhythm game player here.

I am honestly unsure of how my wrists haven't fallen off yet. Not a single symptom of carpal tunnel, RSI, nothing.
Out of curiosity what is your setup like? Is your keyboard and mouse close to your lap?
In my case my RSI is from using the mouse too much. Using my keyboard hasn't caused me any strain although I have heard of this happening to people like writers and such.

Smiechu

Remember there are two styles of handling the mouse:
- palm grip (the palm lays on the mouse and you move the whole arm to move the mouse)
- claw grip (the palm lays on the desk/mouse pad and you move the mouse with your fingers)

I don't know which one is "healthier", maybe try to switch to the other "style". For me personally the palm style is more "tensioning", you need to hover the whole hand in the air and keep the muscles in tension all the time.

I have also small signs of Corp Tunnel but I'm not sure if this is the case. I play also gutiar, bass and other instruments. I think this diversification helps a little bit. The pain I experianced till now is very small and occasional. It could come from a variety of things...

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I am curious though Chance, have you had any experiences with pain in your hand and what was it like? I ask because this topic isn't just about me but everyone's experiences with RSI in general.
I've been fortunate. Only occasional / rare wrist pain. Not enough to interfere with my activities. Just enough to get my attention and cause me to make some changes. Overall, I try to use a light touch: gentle keystrokes, small movements with a sensitive mouse, minimize finger and wrist movement, etc.

G

GVmG

Out of curiosity what is your setup like? Is your keyboard and mouse close to your lap?
In my case my RSI is from using the mouse too much. Using my keyboard hasn't caused me any strain although I have heard of this happening to people like writers and such.
I play however way I can, really. It probably helps that in whatever setup I play on, I like having my forearms as horizontal as possible. There are a lot of differences from game to game in terms of what position one could prefer, even in very similar games. I either play with a laptop or, when I want to play another one of the games, with the kb and mouse at a height so that I can sit mostly straight and have my forearm horizontal and my upper arm around 45-60°. I like having my wrists the most straight possible in most of the games, or at most have my fingers a little bit higher than the wrist, like 10-20° at most.

What really causes this kind of injury with these games is not the posture though, it's other details like the fingers you use to tap, how you hold some of the input devices, how intensely you tap/grip, which keys you use (closer keys in the middle of the kb makes your wrists curve more for example), some would even mention which kind of keyboard you use (mechanical, scissor switches, membrane, etc.), it's wild.

I was going to mention most of the details very briefly, but since there are so many I had written down like 15 paragraphs and decided not to post that LUL - just know that in my case I don't really go for the most ergonomical or safe styles, placements etc., but just what I feel better with. From a medical standpoint, some of the stuff I do while playing is terrible (like how much I tense my muscles in my knuckles, or my mouse grip), other stuff is actually very good (like wider spacing between the two hands making the wrists more straight, or tapping with alternating fingers instead of mostly one that distributes the strain more), and most is average (tablet pen gripped like a normal pen, wrists somewhat horizontal, etc.).

QuickEDIT: The best tip that was probably ever given to me by a much, much better player than me is that when I am not just playing, but having some intense, long session, is "don't fear the burn, fear the pain". If you're playing and you start to feel a light tingle or burning in your muscles, don't worry too much about it, maybe slow down a bit or take a break, but in most cases it's just your muscles working more than usual. But as soon as it starts to hurt even a little bit, or the "warm feeling" gets a bit too strong, stop. That is a bad sign. That is your body telling you "I'm working so much that it's actually hurting me".

Now, I don't know how medically accurate that is (dude mentioned lactic acid, my PE teacher backed him up, and so does wikipedia), but it has always worked for me and kept me safe while still getting better at the games, as well as most other players he or I have suggested that to. It seems like it's mostly common sense, but apparently lots of players have an even lower IQ than me, and I can't even play games that use more than 4 rows of notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MissingNo.

Okay I finally got the desk that is far superior to my previous one, I suspect this will help much better along with some posture adjustments. However I find myself in a predicament.
My cousin is coming home soon from the military and I'm coding him a surprise for when he visits. Problem is my fingers in my right hand are still swollen BUT there is no pain
currently as I have had my hand on break for a few days. My question is can I work on my project with breaks every hour or should I just quit until the swelling goes away?

If I wait till the swelling goes away, in my experience it takes about 2 weeks which will chew up almost all my time if I do no work.
So I thought with my improved posture and desk along with taking proper breaks I could start working again.
Or since I already got the swelling should I just stop using the computer altogether and wait it out?

HayManMarc

I suggest getting a wrist brace. My wife has had carpal tunnel and she uses wrist braces. She is constantly typing and using a computer at her job.

MissingNo.

I suggest getting a wrist brace. My wife has had carpal tunnel and she uses wrist braces. She is constantly typing and using a computer at her job.
Will that work if my wrist is not the problem? It seems my problem is my fingers getting swelled but my wrist appears and feels fine. Will it still help with that?

MissingNo.

I thought one thing that might help me is a computer chair with a mouse and keyboard rest. Can anyone recommended some to me? Or any good places to look for some?
Preferable under 200 dollars? I don't exactly know what to look for or what these type of chairs are called.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I always have it in my right arm's wrist, I have a arm brace for it and everything

RollyBug

I'm in the same boat as GV, if not more-so as I use both hands/wrists. Honestly surprised I haven't yet run into joint pain. Hell I broke one of my wrists and can still play fine. 'Tis a mystery.

I actually bought some wrist braces but rarely use them. Probably should, but they're a hassle.

Not related to carpal tunnel but vertical mice are great. I got a cheap <$20 wireless on from Amazon and the difference is very obvious.

I know several women that have had carpel tunnel syndrome and had corrective surgeries for it. I've had no problems with it. I have a job where I sit typing for longer hours than most.

Maybe it's just the way I have my hands that prevents me from getting it. I remember in typing classes back in high school they demanded your hands be closer together than I hold mine now. The proper way to have my hands really hurt and I had disputes with my first instructor about why should I be in pain? The teacher told me I'd get used to it. The instructors at the time also demanded your left thumb press some of the keys beyond the space bar. I managed to fail the two high school courses for typing improperly despite typing 80 words per minute.

There are also ergonomic keyboards that are split in the middle that will supposedly help you not get carpel tunnel syndrome.

curato

I have always treated it like a sprained ankle. If I ever start to feel discomfort from using a computer I slap carpel tunnel wrist braces on for like a week and it may be months or years before I need it again. I always wanted to learn to use those keyboards out of Johny Nemonic if you could turn your hands the other way it would be so mush easier on them.

I don't have carpal tunnel, but a few years ago my thumb knuckles started hurting really bad (the first knuckles from my hand). They were aching for days due to me gettin crazy on xbox for hours on end. I soaked my entire hands in epson salt water twice a day for 4 days and the pain went away.
I had a guitarist friend who had to get that surgery where the tighten the tendons in the hand. If you keep having problems, seriously go to the doctor before things possibly get bad...

S

Shiroo16

wow, i don't realize i've got it. around december last year on my right hand, never think that was carpal tunnel, i didn't go to doctor either, but around 1 week january it's getting better, now it's okay

L

Ludo Design

I have a written guide on carpal tunnel therapy exercises. Let me see if I can dig something up.

Please share your Carpal Tunnel / RSI experiences of how it effected you and what you did to recover.
Share setups, exercises and whatever you did to improve your computer use.
Well, I remember having a conversation with a piano instructor and he said to me that , normal hand movement which does not impact your wrists ( which is where I experience pain ) is when the hand bends forward . But when you bend the hand backward , by raising it higher than the level of your wrist, you create a tension in your wrists which is where the problem starts to happen. Now, I play a piano keyboard and I type on a computer keyboard, and the most important thing is that I have watch how much force I use with my hands. Also important, is your sitting height and the height of the desk that you rest your hands on can make a difference on your wrist. The only way that I know to stop Carpal Tunnel, is to stop doing that type of exertion on your hands. Which means you have to take a break between typing ( or in my case also, piano playing ). If you are experiencing Carpal Tunnel, you can soak your hands in warm to almost hot water and take pain medication ( like ibuprofen ) to make the pain go away. But do not get a operation on your hand or wrist, because it will take you a really long time ( as in months to years depending on the severity ) to regain back your hand's dexterity. Because after the surgery, doing even the most simplistic things such as holding a pencil to write, will hurt and will take a slow time to regain control of. I know someone who had surgery on their hands for this, and that's what they told me. Do what ever it takes to avoid having surgery, unless you have no other choice left.

Freddy Jones

Your Main Detective
Pretty commonly I feel discomfort in the wrists due to frequent use. Sometimes it goes into my shoulders as well. It happens in both hands through the arms.

Thing is, I usually stretch out whatever's "sore" and possibly take an hour to 1-3 days worth of break (even icing it if it's extreme) and then I'm able to come back eventually just a bit more cautious about my movement habits.

C

Clemens van Brunschot

I found it very simple to learn how to use the mouse with the other hand. Without changing the function of the buttons. The variation has often helped me to prevent trouble.