Can't understand the code [Closed - Posted in Programming forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Warlock Kadash

I've been watching and copying the Gamer Maker Studio 2 tutorials online. However each time I something goes wrong with the code in one way or another and things don't look like they do in the videos. The code is letter for letter, number for number exactly what they write and it always ends up different whenever I copy it.

I want to find an excuse to buy GMS2 When the free trial ends. But I can't seem to get past the code never working for me as the videos show it. I live stream my coding and am looking for any help that can be thrown my way.

Please give me an excuse to buy this software!

Edit: I do make attempts to understand the code. I literally have no coding experience though so I'm working from the ground up, but I am understanding it, it's even explained in tutorials. I just prefer to take a more direct approach when learning new things.

I am a novice I get that. I just want to know why my copy of the same EXACT SAME code works for one person and not me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fanatrick

Sorry if this sounds malicious - it is not what I intend. Not willing to put in any effort whatsoever into at least understanding what the code you're copying does and expecting the engine (and other people) to do everything for you is extremely out of touch. I don't even know what to suggest apart from taking it easy and trying to learn at your own pace. If you're constantly failing to apply things you're "learning" from countless amounts of tutorials and other resources online - the problem lies in you and not your engine of choice. If you hit a wall while trying to solve a problem I can assure you people here will put in effort into trying to help you, additional excuses are definitely not something that will help you in the long run and should be avoided.

Good luck.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Every time I hear novices whine "I copied everything and nothing works", it's NOT a verbatim copy, and the differences are usually quite trivial:
  • A bracket instead of a brace (or vice versa)
  • A colon instead of a semicolon (or vice versa)
  • Needless semicolon between a control structure and its opening brace
  • Missing letters
  • Two letters interposed with each other
All of these would have been avoidable had you learned what each language element does, and just exercised some basic semblance of literacy.

Instead of giving you an excuse to buy GMS 2, I'd rather give you an excuse to buy a paint-by-numbers book. Programming is not something that people following so-called "zero-to-hero" tutorials slavishly and badly should do.

sv3nxd

Every time I hear novices whine "I copied everything and nothing works", it's NOT a verbatim copy, and the differences are usually quite trivial:
  • A bracket instead of a brace (or vice versa)
  • A colon instead of a semicolon (or vice versa)
  • Needless semicolon between a control structure and its opening brace
  • Missing letters
  • Two letters interposed with each other
All of these would have been avoidable had you learned what each language element does, and just exercised some basic semblance of literacy.

Instead of giving you an excuse to buy GMS 2, I'd rather give you an excuse to buy a paint-by-numbers book. Programming is not something that people following so-called "zero-to-hero" tutorials slavishly and badly should do.
That's a rough way to give advice, especially for someone that literally just joined this community, which indirectly transfers into first-expressions. At least the last sentence you could have just left out imo.

@Warlock Kadash
I agree especially with what @Fanatrick says.
When I started out learning java as my first language, I followed tutorials as well (as probably most people do) - and constantly ran into walls.

There are two ways to approach this - take a break and look at it with a fresh mind
or
power through and try to fix the problem you're stuggling with at the moment

The latter one will be the main thing you're doing in general anyways, but that's the case in every programming language.
As already stated, it's not a problem of engine/language/framework, but a problem of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.