• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX Can't set icon for Game Maker Studio 2

I

iModFrenzy

I am using the Mac version of GMS:2 and trying to upload a 1024x1024 PNG but I keep receiving the error:

"The image is expected to have an alpha channel(32-bit)"

I am using Photoshop CS6 to create the icon

I

iModFrenzy

Does the image have an alpha channel and is it saved as a 32-bit PNG file?
I got it to uploaded, I had no transparency in the image at all.

However I am faced with another problem now which is getting the icon to show on the Mac executable? It is just a default application icon.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Have you already exported the game before? If so, try saving it under a different file name. If the icon shows up on the differently-named export, the old icon is cached in the icon cache, which you would then have to clear to make the icon show up under the original file name as well. Keep in mind that if this is the case, the problem is local to your PC and will not affect others.

S

SeanGMC

I got it to uploaded, I had no transparency in the image at all.

However I am faced with another problem now which is getting the icon to show on the Mac executable? It is just a default application icon.
How did you resolve this issue? I can't seem to fix it. I have tried not using transparency, PGN24 and PNG8 on photoshop. Gamemaker Studio is being very difficult when importing an image :( What did you do to fix this? Thanks!

bazay

Hi there, I recently encountered this issue too in 2024 with GMS2 IDE Version 2023.11.1.129. Unfortunately I didn't find this thread helpful, however I did manage to find my own solution.

Here's how I resolved it:
1. Take your icon with no transparency (e.g. see attached "invalid_icon_144px.png"). Attempting to use this icon in GMS2 results in the `"The image is expected to have an alpha channel (be 32-bit)"`
2. Open you photo editor (I used Photoshop CS) and clip the corners thus adding transparency to your image (e.g. see attached "valid_icon_144px.png")
3. Save your edited game icon image as PNG-24 + transparency enabled (in Photoshop CS I chose PNG-24 & tick the Transparency checkbox).
- NOTE: If you want to maintain a square picture, you can delete a single pixel from the top left corner of your image and make sure nothing is below i.e. transparent.
4. Upload your icon to GMS2 project under Game Options > Android > Icons.

Hopefully this is able to help someone else.

Attachments

Last edited: