• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Can't save files?

G

GM_novice

Hi!

I've been forced to move my files to another PC (because Windows 7 is no longer supported). But i'm running into a very weird problem that I don't understand or konw how to fix. I have a screenshot of the problem that i'd like to add here. Is it using the wrong path? And if so, how do I fix it?

Sincerely
Daniel

Attachments

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The console states that access to the path (insert overly long path here) is denied. This could be due to a multitude of reasons.

There's a chance that this is a generic error message that's thrown whenever the file can't be accessed for any reason - so first make sure that the files in question (any file) actually exist at the location GMS expects them to exist at. Copy the path and paste it into Explorer. If that opens the file, you're good to go in this regard.

Try running GMS as admin to eliminate the potential that the OS is restricting it from writing to a protected location. This normally shouldn't be the case since this is on your desktop folder... but you never know.

Since you mentioned that you transferred these files from a different operating system: Did you grant yourself (the new user on the new OS) permissions to access and modify these files? Access to them may be locked to the original user that created them due to the default NTFS permissions unless you manually override it.

G

GM_novice

The console states that access to the path (insert overly long path here) is denied. This could be due to a multitude of reasons.

There's a chance that this is a generic error message that's thrown whenever the file can't be accessed for any reason - so first make sure that the files in question (any file) actually exist at the location GMS expects them to exist at. Copy the path and paste it into Explorer. If that opens the file, you're good to go in this regard.

Try running GMS as admin to eliminate the potential that the OS is restricting it from writing to a protected location. This normally shouldn't be the case since this is on your desktop folder... but you never know.

Since you mentioned that you transferred these files from a different operating system: Did you grant yourself (the new user on the new OS) permissions to access and modify these files? Access to them may be locked to the original user that created them due to the default NTFS permissions unless you manually override it.

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I checked that the files exist in the specified location. Yes, I have access to all the files on the computer (administrator privileges). As you mentioned above, I didn't run GMS 2 as an adminnistrator but that seems to have solved the problem!