• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE cant run simple demo [solved]

S

Storyteller

literally have a single background that scrolls, nothing else, tried this as a basic 'is everything working after install test'

it does not.

output

Code:
Saving project to: C:\Users\nexrillusa\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider\Ice Avoider.yyp
Saving 1 resources
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.3.36/bin/Igor.exe"  -options="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff"  -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Ice Avoide_FCF90CFD_9AF708D8\macros.json
OptionsIni
Options: C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Ice Avoide_FCF90CFD_9AF708D8\platform_options.yy
TargetPreferences: C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Ice Avoide_FCF90CFD_9AF708D8\preferences.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.3.36/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe"  /c /zpex /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Ice Avoider" /td="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2" /cd="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\Ice Avoide_FCF90CFD_9AF708D8" /zpuf="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\rqpaine_994542" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg=default /o="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider_1925B17F_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider_1925B17F_VM\options.ini"  /tp=2048  /cvm /baseproject="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.3.36/BaseProject/BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\nexrillusa\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider\Ice Avoider.yyp" /bt=run"
Reading project file....C:\Users\nexrillusa\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider
Reading project file....C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.0.3.36\BaseProject
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
   at ..(String , String , Guid , Dictionary`2 )
   at ..(String , List`1 )
   at ..(String , Dictionary`2 )
   at ..(JsonTextReader , String , Boolean )
finished.
Compile Constants...finished.
Remove DnD...finished.
Compile Scripts...finished.
Compile Objects...finished.
Compile Timelines...finished.
Compile Triggers...finished.
Compile Rooms...finished.
Compile Extensions...finished.
Global scripts...finished.
Final Compile...finished.
Saving IFF file... C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\Ice Avoider_1925B17F_VM\Ice Avoider.win
Writing Chunk... GEN8
option_game_speed=30
Writing Chunk... OPTN
Writing Chunk... LANG
Writing Chunk... EXTN
Writing Chunk... SOND
Writing Chunk... AGRP
Writing Chunk... SPRT
Writing Chunk... BGND
Writing Chunk... PATH
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... GLOB
Writing Chunk... SHDR
Writing Chunk... FONT
Writing Chunk... TMLN
Writing Chunk... OBJT
Writing Chunk... ROOM
Writing Chunk... DAFL
Writing Chunk... EMBI
Writing Chunk... TPAGE
Writing Chunk... CODE
Writing Chunk... VARI
Writing Chunk... FUNC
Writing Chunk... STRG
Writing Chunk... TXTR
Writing Chunk... AUDO
Writing Chunk... SCPT
Writing Chunk... DBGI
Writing Chunk... INST
Writing Chunk... LOCL
Writing Chunk... STRG
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=1644.8564
Stats : GMA : sp=0,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=0,tl=0,ob=0,ro=0,da=0,ex=0,ma=2,fm=0x0

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:07.0599457s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.3.36/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\nexrillusa\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff"  -- Windows Run started at 03/12/2017 11:06:53
FAILED : Run Program Complete

S

Storyteller

tried this again with a completely empty project, the error 'seems to be'

"System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary."

but I cannot tel, do I need to update my runtime somehow?
Im looking at doing two to three small example projects with this new version now that it is out of Beta, so I can properly evaluate it, is there some other step I need to take?

S

Storyteller

solved this, barely found a related thread.

the runtime was old, you need to go the Preferences and update the Runtime there to the latest version.

a better error message like 'your runtime is out of date' would have helped.

gnysek

But idea of GMS2 is that you can rollback to older runtime in case there's a bug, which crashes your game, while it was OK before update. Or even if they change how things works, so you can still finish your game on runtime before changes.

However, with reinstallation of GMS2, runtime should be also updated to latest one (while downloaded ones are still left).

S

Storyteller

aye, I dont think it should force the runtime to update, rather a better error message telling you that your runtime wont work.
rolling back to the previous runtime in this case, would prevent compilation. So, the choice is good, but a more clear message leading one in the right direction would help. now that I know this is the trouble, I will know to try this if it happens again.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
The problem here is that the project was from the future (as far as the runtime was concerned) it contained something that was unexpected and the compiler died, so how could it tell that you need to update your runtime???? If you can answer the question (other than a fallback to the default message being something along the lines of Maybe you need to update runtimes??? as that may not be true either).... let me know.

Russell

S

Storyteller

I would say, if your runtime is out of date (if it can look online from time to time) it can test if new runtimes are available. It seems to have done this when I instaled the software, yet I got no message about it. I was asked at install if I wanted to update my runtime (that I recall).
Perhaps a simple message on 'unknown error', a hint or mention 'your runtime is out if date'.

I installed GMS2 during the beta, I was pressed for time, checked it out and then as a new beta version was available, uninstalled it.
Once the Beta was over, I downloaded the 'production version', but it kept the old runtime. It was only through digging forums and exploring that I found this by chance.

Had it mentioned during install, at any point I was online and opened GM (which is rare as I live off grid), a note that a new runtime was available would be good. Perhaps an internal check for compatible runtimes that gets updated as you release updates of the software itself. Like I and a few others have found this 'bug' so you know its an out of date runtime. If it doesn't compile an empty project, and I mean I made a new project and hit run and it died, thats not something I have done, its an internal error, I doubt anyone can get that runtime to work with this version of the software, they are incompatible.

So a solution would be an option 'notify of incompatible runtimes' or such and then if the compiler faults, check this and suggest it. This runtime is known to be 'non-working' with this version of GMS2, so it can be marked and a proper error message can be generated. So I guess, keep a list of bad runtimes or 'out of date' runtimes that no longer work and warn the user of them. It took but 5 minutes even piggy-backing on my phone for wi-fi, ten miles from town, with the phone in the window with 1 bar. Its not a big download, so it shouldnt be too much trouble.

So, I guess 'make a list and check it twice'. If users file a big report or you guys know internally a runtime will fail with an update, add it to the blacklist, and check that periodically. As it is, there was almost nothing to tell me this was the problem, or that runtimes had been updated. I ddnt even know I could update runtimes separate from the normal installer. Perhaps on installation, it could check and ask if the runtime should be updated?

Anyway, glad Ive got it working now :)