• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can't program so here's a Scooter blog!

hippyman

Hello everybody! I have cubital tunnel syndrome and it's gotten pretty bad recently so I've been taking longer breaks from my computer so I can do my best to avoid having to get surgery. I also recently purchased a Honda Helix scooter and having been putting most of my time into that.
For a while I was riding it and it is a blast, let me tell you! But there is a backfire when I decelerate. Of course being the person that I am, I HAD TO fix this problem.
....okay..... so maybe I got a little carried away....

As I was taking it apart I got inspired to repaint it also. I'm going to make this thing look brand new. I started restoring the plastic trim pieces first while I'm waiting for some parts to come in.

I still have a few more trim pieces I need to paint. They're the larger and more complex shaped pieces and it was getting really hot in that garage so I took a break. It's about 95°F right now outside and even toastier in the garage.

Now that you guys are all caught up I can update this as I go. I'll have more parts coming in on Friday and my hopes are that I'll have the rest of the trim pieces painted by then so I can give it a test ride with the new parts. After that I'll begin planning my colors and design for the fairings.

You might be wondering why I'm posting this in a game dev forum. Well... I don't have a blog. I don't have a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. You guys are pretty much my only friends aside from my best friend in real life so I figured I'd share what I have going on. I hope you all like it! :D

D

Deleted member 467

Got the same thing going, and it just gets worse because I can't afford to take more breaks than I have on my game :|

Nice scooter though :)

hippyman

Got the same thing going, and it just gets worse because I can't afford to take more breaks than I have on my game :|

Nice scooter though :)
I would recommend taking the time off. It won't get any better until you give it time to heal. I didn't listen to my doctor like a year ago and now if I'm on too long, my pinky finger starts to go numb. But I get the difficulty of getting off the computer when it's the only thing you're used too.

And thanks for the compliment! Just wait, this thing will be WAY nicer when I get done with it.

hippyman

Small little update. My exhaust parts came in early today! :D

I'm just waiting for the belt case air cleaner and I can put it all back together. I went ahead and got it running but I can't drive around or keep it running long until I get that filter in there. I popped in the K&N air filter, new carburetor, new exhaust pipe and gasket. Changed out some old hardware with some shiny new hardware.

I'm looking forward to getting back out on the road with this. Some good news from all this is that my backfiring issue is GONE! No more *pop!* *pa-pop!* *pop!* coming from this scooter anymore.

I was going to finish painting the plastic trim pieces but got stuck having to wait to finish the last piece because a storm started coming in and there's no painting with high winds and humidity. Unless you want to waste all your paint and have a terrible finish. I'd say expect a picture of the scooter put back together by Saturday. I need to let all the pieces cure properly before I put them back on so I don't have to do it all over again.

I'm tempted to invest in a GoPro or some other cheaper helmet cam option. It would be cool to record my journeys. I'm going to take this thing everywhere. Gas is cheap with this thing. I can get to Florida and back with a little over $100 for gas. That's INSANE!

Z

zendraw

it amazes me how scientists and doctors make an illness out of normal things...

Z

zendraw

lol, you serious? :D im not offended or have bad thoughts bout it, nor am i tryin anything here. its all good, but i really am amazed at doctors and scientists that get too serious about such things.
when i was more actively trainin, i also had numbness in my smaller fingers, and that was almost every morning i wake up. but i never saw it as a big deal. perhaps if i asked my doc about it she wuld have made it an injury also, which is why i dont consult with docs that much, they will make you sick even if your perfectly fine.
chill ;)

hippyman

Okay just checking. No hard feelings ;)

It's not exactly life-threatening but it is still nerve damage. So if you're waking up with numb fingers, yeah that's an issue. lol

hippyman

Took a break from messing around with this for about week to ride it around. Now I'm back to it. I also made a concept image of what I want the scooter to look like in the end. There may be some minor changes but it's going to pretty much be this.

S

Storyteller

not much, tested one, love the style, long been on my wishlist

hippyman

not much, tested one, love the style, long been on my wishlist
I got lucky and managed to get this for a pretty good price. I also got my new seat cover today. I had it custom made at a local auto upholstery shop. They really did a good job. Gave me exactly what I designed.

Now I just have to do the paint job and it will look WAAAAY better. It's not that I don't think black, white and red don't work together. I just think it will look really good when it's all white.

W

Wraithious

Nice!! Scooters are awesome I have one too, did some crazy stuff to it also, just the engine tho, it's a 40cc tanaka 2 stroke that I made a Kraken tuned exhaust pipe for it and a reed valve case (as they don't make one for that small an engine) I used a reed valve out of a twin cylinder 2 stroke that was 80 cc's which is basically 2 40 cc engines so it was the smallest one I could find. here's a video of the test fire
here's a couple videos of other things I've done to it, when I bought it someone had wiped out on it and broke the exhaust port off the engine so the first video is of fixing that, and the second is the shortened version on making the Kraken serpent tuned pipe haha

hippyman

That thing is neat! I would be so nervous to upgrade that type of scooter. lol
I also thought it would be sick to make a stand up scooter like that but with one of these bigger scooters. Like stretch it out and raise the handlebars so you could just stand up while you ride around. Probably not very legal it sure would be neat!

W

Wraithious

That would be cool! The problem with mine is the tiny wheels, I take it off roading sometimes but any loose sand at all (or potholes in a road too!) ends up with the front wheel burying itself and flips me off of it haha but those other scooters wouldn't have as much of a problem

W

Wraithious

it can be a little scary at higher speeds if the street isn't in great condition or it's really sandy/dirty/wet/etc.
Yea definatly, wiping out in the woods isn't half as bad as on a public tar road that's for sure!

W

Wraithious

but if you hurt yourself bad in the woods and there's nobody around then that could be a bad issue too!
Yea that's definatly very true, I've had a couple of really bad accidents in the woods on my old dirtbike and a snowmobile, and of course I was by myself every time :(

S

Storyteller

ok, Imma have to post pics of my 1950s Lehman electric golf cart Im converting to an electric 'lightning chariot'.
It has a vacuum tube in it :cool:

hippyman

Yea that's definatly very true, I've had a couple of really bad accidents in the woods on my old dirtbike and a snowmobile, and of course I was by myself every time :(
Good thing everything worked out for the better in the end :D

ok, Imma have to post pics of my 1950s Lehman electric golf cart Im converting to an electric 'lightning chariot'.
It has a vacuum tube in it :cool:
Do it! It would be neat to see. Is that one of those three wheeled golf carts?

hippyman

There wasn't a lot of interest in this thread but I may as well finish it with a picture of how it turned out. Didn't quite do what I originally planned but it still looks pretty good I think and I love riding it.