1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - IDE Can't import sprite by dragging and dropping into the IDE

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by matharoo, Sep 15, 2018.

1. matharoo

matharoo Udemy Instructor

Previously I was able to import sprites by dragging the file and dropping them into the IDE, same for other resources. I've been unable to do that for some time.

Why is that?

I have tried reinstalling GMS2.

2. nlolotte

nlolotte Member

Just tried it and it worked first time for me, perhaps you have preference turned off?

3. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Are you dropping into the “Sprites” section of the resource tree or just into the workspace?

4. matharoo

Doesn't work no matter where I try to drop it.

5. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Works fine here.

Only things I can think of are any AV / System Protection type software not allowing the file to be created by dragging in and so blocking it, or your account not having access to create a file in that location via dragging it in.

I assume you can create sprites normally using the resource tree menu?
    Is there any information in the UI.log?

6. Mick

Mick Member

Are you running GMS2 as administrator? If you run a program with elevated privileges you are not allowed to drag and drop files from a program running on a lower privilege level (if you are on Windows that is).

Another possible cause could be a skin that doesn't support a newer version of GMS2, that can result in weird behviour.

7. matharoo

Oh yes I am running it as administrator. When I get to my PC I'll try that, thanks!

Edit: Okay I tried that, but now if I drag a file into the IDE, Explorer just freezes and I have to restart it through Task Manager.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  8. IGameArt

IGameArt Member

I've had the same thing happen to me Matharoo, I'd recommend saving and restarting GMS2 and it'll let you drag assets back in again.

matharoo likes this.
  9. Xerberuz

Xerberuz Member

I know this post is old, but I ran into the same issue and in my case it was because I was dragging the files after opening the zip file that the sprites I was using were in. I actually unzipped it to a different location and was able to drag them from there. Hope this helps.

matharoo likes this.