1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Cant import large sprites

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by ViceVersa, Aug 10, 2019.

1. ViceVersa

ViceVersa Member

I have a sprite at size 12800 x 2140. When i try to import the image, it doesnt say anything and acts as if it worked, but the image remains blank. Anybody know whats going on? Is this going to have to be imported in pieces or something?

2. pipebkOT

pipebkOT Member

@ViceVersa
    why do you have a sprite that big, is a sprite sheet?

yes, learn about textures pages https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/1_overview/3_additional_information/texture_pages.html

a sprite that big will not fit in a texture page, unless is resized

3. ViceVersa

ViceVersa Member

4. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

Do you have enough free RAM to load this graphic into memory? The preview might look like it failed if you're out of RAM. Apart from that, the only other thing I can recommend is reducing the resolution or importing it in multiple parts, as this sprite will fit on no texture page anyway and would be resized upon compilation.

5. curato

curato Member

You are going to likely have to break that up to get it to work properly. For example I have seen some plan games that the background is basically just water and that background is scrolled then they add details with sprites that get scrolled under the plane. Depending on what you are doing there is method to get the image you imagine to appear without overrunning the page file. A lot of game designed is trying to figure out how to get what you imagine to work on the equipment you and your customers have access to.