1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Can't import anything by drag and dropping from file explorer

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by Felix Pilon, Feb 10, 2019 at 6:33 PM.

Tags:
  1. Felix Pilon

Felix Pilon Member

I was previously able to do it when I was running the version of GMS2 that I downloaded from the site, but since I downloaded it on Steam, I cannot drag files from the file explorer, such as sprites, into GMS2 to import them. Running Steam and GMS2 as Administrator does not solve the problem, and I cannot find anything online to fix this that does not involve this solution. I'm kind of a newbie so maybe I'm missing something. I have the latest version and runtime installed, and I'm on Windows 8.1. Thank you for helping.

2. chirpy

chirpy Member

I don't remember being able to drop files into GMS2 at all. Once I split an atlas of sprites in GMS2 and copy-pasted each frame into other sprites..

Another functionality that I'd really love to have is to be able to drag and drop sprites into a texture group. Clicking repeatedly is such a painful task to complete.

3. immortalx

immortalx Member

You can drag sprites into the IDE. For drag and drop to work on windows, file explorer and the application you're dropping into, or any two applications involving a d&d operation have to be run with the same permission level. The normal thing to do is to not run GMS2 as an admin.

4. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

It could be a bug with the Steam version, if you say you can do this with the standalone. Please file a ticket with the helpdesk!