• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Can't find Source Control UI

P

preinheimer

I'm on a mac.

I've enabled Source Control on my project, under Preferences -> Plugins -> Source Control (GIT). I did this by adding an SSH key, and pointing it at a fresh repo on Github. I've checked the "Automatically enable source control" box, and hit apply.

What's next? The documentation says things like "then click Source Control > Import Project into Repository" but I can't find this mythical Source Control thing to click.

GMS 2.3 Beta (yay for the new GML updates! Functions!)

Screenshot 2020-06-20 08.47.01.png

P

preinheimer

Awesome, thanks! Any idea what I've done wrong, or where I could look for some sort of an error message?

chamaeleon

Awesome, thanks! Any idea what I've done wrong, or where I could look for some sort of an error message?
Before you open up a project at all, after having launched GMS 2, do you see Source Control at the top OSX application bar, at the very top of your screen, and not within the confines of the GMS 2 application window? If so, that is where you should see it if you enable source control for a project.

P

preinheimer

Amazing, there's a window, thanks!

It's not clear to me what the process is to take an existing project and add it to source control. Are you aware of any tutorials that go into that? The only non-greyed-out option in Source Control is "Clone Repository" which doesn't sound right. Pointing it at my local dir yields an error.

thanks for your help

Screenshot 2020-06-20 18.03.43.png

chamaeleon

Amazing, there's a window, thanks!

It's not clear to me what the process is to take an existing project and add it to source control. Are you aware of any tutorials that go into that? The only non-greyed-out option in Source Control is "Clone Repository" which doesn't sound right. Pointing it at my local dir yields an error.
That same menu should appear appear if you enable source control in your Options -> Main -> General settings for the project, at which point some of the other menu entries becomes available, and using them may prompt you to set some source control options in the GameMaker Preferences -> Plugins -> Source Control section.

Having said that, the clone repository entry is for, well, cloning an existing repository. You don't have one yet (presumably). You need to create it within the project first, if you go ahead and use the source control inside GameMaker. You may also want to read up on git in general outside the scope of GameMaker to get a better understanding of how to use it.

Personally, I use command line git and tortoisegit outside GameMaker and never bother enabling it for any project.

P

preinheimer

Ahh, thanks! I do development full time in my day job with git at the CLI , but want to try out the IDE integration.

For future readers on a mac look here. I've never clicked on that gear before.

Going_Home_-_GameMaker_Studio_2-Beta.png