3D Can't Figure Out Ellipsoid Texture - Need Help

D

DenHead

As the title says, I've been making a soccer game for the last couple of days and wanted a rolling ball. So I got the 3D working and now it rolls around and everything but no matter what I do I can't get the right texture. I've looked everywhere on google but there seems to be very little information about this sort of thing. As you can see in the picture, at the poles of the ball the texture starts to distort in on itself.

soccer.png

This is the texture I'm using.

.Ball.png
I was hoping someone in the community would have some information on how to fix this.

Thanks in advance :)

orange451

The texture is not your problem. The problem is Game Maker's spheres.

Spherical mapping by definition has UV coordinates that look quite unappealing along the up vector.

To have a sphere whose texture looks more uniform at any point, you should look into Icospheres. They are not a default primitive type in Game Maker, so you will have to either write a script to generate one for you, or model one in a 3d modeling program.

TheSnidr wrote a nice Icosphere implementation in GameMaker 8.1, but since the yoyogames sandbox is gone, I cant seem to find it for you.