• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Can't export test build without Steam_api.dll! (Not steam verified).

ZAK!

Hello,

I'm having an issue with exporting a build (winzip/winrar) of a game I'm working on. I wish to export it as an exe file. (So Build > Create Executeable file). But it keeps failing because Game Maker studio 2 cannot find this file. I am not Steam verified and I'm just exporting it normally to send to a friend whos collaborating with me on this project. I recieved this copy of GMS2 from the Yoyogames website when my friend (the Person I'm trying to send it to.) bought it for me. And I have NOT messed with the settings since recieving it.

I have looked on google for any hints to what this file is and relating to Game Maker it seems to be something you need when you get verified on Steam to post games on there Marketplace. Which we're not up to that stage (far from it) and I can BARELY export the copy of the game at all. Only rarely will it let me export the project as an exe.

I have tried asking on the Steam community page of this topic and have only gotten answers like: "Ive looked it up, It has links on google. but I dont trust them." Which doesnt really help my problem. So any help of advice would be wonderful!

Thanks!ERROR_GMS2.png

Bruchpilot

If you're not exporting for steam right now, just normal exe, then tick off the "enable steam" option under the Resource Tree - Options - Windows.
And it should be gone.

ZAK!

Thank you SO much. That fixed it. Odd that was ticked. I didnt even know that option existed.

Thanks again!!