• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Can't drag and drop assets into IDE

Psycho-Male

I think this started after latest update of 2.3(2.3.1.542), I can't drag and drop sprites into IDE, asset browser, or sprite editor. Same applies to sounds too, I can't drop them anywhere. I always have to choose import or browser option to add assets into my game. I experienced this on 3 different computers.

Psycho-Male

This is usually because GMS2 is being forced to run with elevated permissions and Windows Explorer is not, so there is a difference in what is allowed. Or it may also be your antivirus settings.

Either way, please see
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...missions-and-Internet-Access-Required-by-GMS2 (there is an actual troubleshooting section entry for this issue already)
After several updates and my attempts to fix this several times, this issue still didn't solved unfortunately. I don't use antivirus and my firewall is disabled, I don't run GMS in administrator mode. I also have the same issue on my laptop, both Windows. At this point I just hope it's a bug and someday it'll be fixed.

rIKmAN

I don't use antivirus
If you are running Windows 10, Windows Defender is installed and used by default, so it might be worth looking into disabling that if that's the case.

What actually happens you when you drag an asset into the IDE?
Where are you dragging it to? (Workspace, Asset Browser etc)

Dragging things into the IDE definitely works as I do it myself regularly, so the more information you can give about your setup and actions will help as it seems to be something specific to your system.

Psycho-Male

If you are running Windows 10, Windows Defender is installed and used by default, so it might be worth looking into disabling that if that's the case.

What actually happens you when you drag an asset into the IDE?
Where are you dragging it to? (Workspace, Asset Browser etc)

Dragging things into the IDE definitely works as I do it myself regularly, so the more information you can give about your setup and actions will help as it seems to be something specific to your system.
Windows Defender is disabled, I tried both .png files and .wav files, neither of them works. I get this cursor when I try to drag assets into workspace, asset browser or sprite editor: 1618512353445.png and nothing happens when I release the mouse button.

rIKmAN

Windows Defender is disabled, I tried both .png files and .wav files, neither of them works. I get this cursor when I try to drag assets into workspace, asset browser or sprite editor: View attachment 39537 and nothing happens when I release the mouse button.
That's odd - is your user account on this machine/the laptop an Admin account?
Can you drop .yymp files into the IDE?

rIKmAN

I'm admin and no, I can't drop .yymp files either.
It's really odd that it happens on 3 different machines - are there any similarities you can think of between those machines that could be a clue as to what might be causing the issue? Windows version? Same software installed on both etc?

Are they personal machines or school / uni computers?
Are they or have they ever been connected to a domain which may control access/permissions via Group Policies and the like?
Are both machines fully up to date via WIndows Update?
All all drivers are the latest versions?

Have you tried rolling back through GMS2 versions to which one it started happening with?
I realise this takes a bit of time but it would help YYG to know what version the behaviour changed in.

Last edited:

obscene

I had the same issue with Sony sound forge and had to edit the registry. I don't remember the details but maybe Google it and see if you can apply it to gamemaker. UAC or whatever it's called. Makes me want to install Windows 95 sometimes.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
After several updates and my attempts to fix this several times, this issue still didn't solved unfortunately. I don't use antivirus and my firewall is disabled, I don't run GMS in administrator mode. I also have the same issue on my laptop, both Windows. At this point I just hope it's a bug and someday it'll be fixed.
Please file a bug report (ideally after going through the steps provided by @rIKmAN) and provide as much information as possible.

I had the same issue with Sony sound forge and had to edit the registry. I don't remember the details but maybe Google it and see if you can apply it to gamemaker. UAC or whatever it's called. Makes me want to install Windows 95 sometimes.
User Account Control, if that's what you mean, can be disabled completely without editing the registry. That comes with the usual caveats of disabling security features, but I'm in no position to tell people whether they should or shouldn't do it.

@Psycho-Male If you do end up changing this and it does make a difference, please include it in the ticket.

Psycho-Male

While switching between older and newer versions as you suggested, I tried running GMS like any normal person would instead of using my Vim macros to automatically launch .yyp file and go to project path, I noticed that everything is working as it should. Then it occurred to me since I'm using command line command 'start' to run project, it's probably running it as admin, so uh, false alarm, my bad. Guess I'll stick to old ways.