• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Can't copy frame from 1 sprite to another

S

StepCore

When I try to copy a frame from one sprite to another it only takes the top Layer from that frame with it and stretches it to fit the new aspect ration.
like this https://gyazo.com/f2ae6ed77eaa14ab1df78ed3ab1bbaa2

If I try to copy the frame as a brush and paint it in the frame of the other sprite, it only takes the top layer, but doesn't stretch it.

If I select all layers it paints the last clicked layer

How do I take a frame from one sprite and put it into another sprite completely with all layers and layer groups?
I don't understand how this works in GM2. I used to just be able copy past frames. Maybe I'm doing it wrong now? Please help.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Click on the frame on the timeline at the top (in the image editor or sprite editor), then use "COPY" (or CTRL+C), then "PASTE" into the other sprites timeline.

S

StepCore

Click on the frame on the timeline at the top (in the image editor or sprite editor), then use "COPY" (or CTRL+C), then "PASTE" into the other sprites timeline.
I think that's what I already did in the GIF I linked isn't it?
When I do that it only copies the top layer in the sprite, not the entire frame. It also stretches it if the new sprite has a different resolution.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Not sure what it's copying - CTRL-C?

Open 2 image editors and try it in there?

S

StepCore

Not sure what it's copying - CTRL-C?

Open 2 image editors and try it in there?
I right click the frame and press copy (also tried ctrl+c). Then I paste it the timeline in another sprite and it only puts in the top layer and stretches it.
The same thing happens if I open the image editor for both sprites and copy the frame over from the timelines in there.
I can't post another link with a gif to demonstrate yet.

The one sprite is 1 layer with just a circle
The other sprite is 4 layers with a circle an 3 squares. The circle is the top layer. When I try to copy the frame it only copies the circle.
The sprite I copy from is 32x64 and the one I copy to is 64x64 and it stretches the circle from the frame to twice it's width and the same height.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It wont currently add the extra new layers (copying 4 to a sprite that only has 1) - we'll be adding that soon (noticed today). If each image has the same layers, it'll copy as expected.

S

StepCore

It wont currently add the extra new layers (copying 4 to a sprite that only has 1) - we'll be adding that soon (noticed today). If each image has the same layers, it'll copy as expected.
Ah thanks, now it copies all the layers, but it still stretches the frame to twice it's width instead of pasting it in it's original form.
The source sprite is 32x64 and the target sprite is 64x64.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Since you're copying frame to frame, they have to match exactly, or it'll get scaled.

S

StepCore

Since you're copying frame to frame, they have to match exactly, or it'll get scaled.
Is there a way I can copy over the entire frame with all the layers (brush only lets me take 1 layer) to another sprite with a different resolution and retain it's relative position? As in a pixel at 32/64 moved to a sprite that is 64x64 will still be at position 32/64? If that makes sense. I think this was possible in GM:S. It had a dialog box with some options when pasting like stretch/place in center/place in left top and also how to resize the sprite.

EDIT: This one https://gyazo.com/d766e33ce993d061b2d6f55cf9443a77
Sorry for all the questions, I'm used to GM:S and previous versions and just bought GM2, so still getting used to this new environment.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Sorry for all the questions, I'm used to GM:S and previous versions and just bought GM2, so still getting used to this new environment.
Yeah not a problem.

With GMS2 introducing layers - and a new image editor, things will obviously be different or features that folk are used to missing.
We do this for pasting single layer images that don't fit, so we could extend it elsewhere. Feel free to file a suggestion and we'll add it to the list.

S

StepCore

With GMS2 introducing layers - and a new image editor, things will obviously be different or features that folk are used to missing.
We do this for pasting single layer images that don't fit, so we could extend it elsewhere. Feel free to file a suggestion and we'll add it to the list.
Thanks for all the help :) Will do.