• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Can't change variables for object which inherited from parent room in GM 2.3

breakmt

I have a big problem with room inherence system in GM 2.3. I hope someone could help me with this. I guess this is bug in GM, but I'm not sure. Anyway I need some kind of solution with it...

Here is example:
1. I have parent room,
2. I have child room,
3. In parent room there is an object with variables,
4. I want to change these variables in child room

I open up child room, double-click object to open "Instance" window and see that "Inherit" button is gray and I can't change variables. (In < 2.3.0 version it was not like that, but maybe it was a bug.)

5. I click "Inherit" button and now it's not gray anymore,
6. I change variable value,
7. Save project - Exit GM - Open GM again and....

Result: I see that my object is "Inherit" again and variable value is dropped to original.

Here is my demo project: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2gzM/3ZjP22zt8

Biscotto

I just tried your project.
I set the "Room_Child" as Main room (so that when you start the game, it's the first room to run), and inserted a "Show_debug_message" in the Create of the "test" object to show the value i "something".
Changing the "something" value from room editor and restarting GM, actually if the "Variables" box is opened the variable is not shown changed, but if the game is started, the variable is correctly changed.
I am not sure, but it could probably be a graphical bug in the IDE, which does not show the modified variable's status correctly.
Try to open a bug report using the bug report form, in 24/48 hours you will get confirmation or not of the bug.

breakmt

I just tried your project.
I set the "Room_Child" as Main room (so that when you start the game, it's the first room to run), and inserted a "Show_debug_message" in the Create of the "test" object to show the value i "something".
Changing the "something" value from room editor and restarting GM, actually if the "Variables" box is opened the variable is not shown changed, but if the game is started, the variable is correctly changed.
I am not sure, but it could probably be a graphical bug in the IDE, which does not show the modified variable's status correctly.
Try to open a bug report using the bug report form, in 24/48 hours you will get confirmation or not of the bug.
This is great! I can live with this for a while actually, but of course I reported to help desk.

Thanks a lot!