• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Can't change build target / can't create executable

I'm trying to create an executable file so I can send a friend a build of my game to play test on their PC.

"Create Executable" wasn't doing anything at all. A bit of research brought me to this help article: Setting Up for Windows

However, when I try to change the build target, I only have the default options:

Platform: Windows
Worker: Local
Output: VM
Device: Default
Config: Default

I wonder if it's a problem with my licence. I bought the "publish on Windows only, 1 year, quite cheap" version back in July or August. I'm trying to verify exactly what license I have but I don't know where to look.

Edit: verified that it's not a problem with my license.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can verify the licence type by going to the YoYo Games home page and then signing in to your account. Then go to your GameMaker > Products dashboard and you can see what licences you have and when they were bought.
1617344391895.png

Okay that's helpful. Confirmed I have the "GameMaker Studio 2 Creator Windows" version, purchased 18 Sep 2020.

So do I have something wrong with my settings that's preventing me from exporting?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
That licence lets you build Windows executables so.... The only thing I can think is that maybe you need to refresh the licence details within GMS2? Try logging out (from the Help menu, IIRC) and then restart GM and log back in again. That should force a licence refresh and permit you to export EXEs.