• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Cannot run GMS2 games on 32 bit XP virtual machine

T

Timic83

I understand that I cannot use GMS2 on XP, but XP says that the EXE's GMS2 makes are "not a valid Win32 application". If I try making a GMS1 EXE it works fine. I can run the GMS2 EXE just fine on my Win 64 bit main machine and task manager says it's 32 bit, why wouldn't it be working on XP?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
XP is pretty dead these days. Looking at the Steam survey ( http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey ) it's only 0.94% of users on XP, and that's just going to keep on falling. Drivers are becoming a real issue as graphics and audio guys just don't care about DX9 anymore.

Let it die...... :)

J

juztehspessdE

Juju

i can see a problem for poor customer in poor counttry
There are millions of people out there who, in principle, should have the right to play games. It's a significant concern and @Mike has spoken before about trying to open up game development to as many people as possible, and I would imagine this includes players as well as makers. However, GameMaker is part of a larger ecosystem and needs to move on to new technology so that it's still relevant in a fast-moving industry. There have already been problems running GMS1 games on newer versions of Windows (8+10)... It's time for GameMaker to step up, and that unfortunately means leaving DX9 behind.

If you'd like to make games for people with old (or plain slow!) computers, you probably won't be making and distributing what you make in the same way as a $15 Steam game. Mobile phones are common throughout the world, probably moreso than desktops nowadays, so Android development is a decent route to go down. Otherwise, you'll want to consider HTML5 - GameMaker is perfectly positioned to make simple but wonderful 2D games that are playable through the browser (though we are waiting on an update to fix some things *grinds teeth*).

Last edited: