• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 Cannot run/debug HTML5 game

H

hi8111

Hello, I am targeting HTML5, and using a Mac. When I click the run button it looks like the game compiles fine but it can't start the web server because of some SocketException and so I can't run or debug it using the IDE. The end of the console message looks like this:

Obfuscating...
Done!
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=3002.524
Stats : GMA : sp=0,au=0,bk=0,pt=0,sc=0,sh=0,fo=1,tl=0,ob=0,ro=1,da=0,ex=0,ma=0,fm=0x0

[Deploy] Copy Assets/Included files to target dir
PlatformOptions
DoIndexFile
DoSplash
DoIcon
Igor complete.
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Could not resolve host 'MyName-MacBook-Pro.local'
at System.Net.Dns.Error_11001 (System.String hostName) [0x00015] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0
at System.Net.Dns.GetHostByName (System.String hostName) [0x00021] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0
at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry (System.String hostNameOrAddress) [0x00052] in <f8bb3922e51744d9ace1aa6aedc374ea>:0
at Igor.WindowsBuilder.GetLocalIP () [0x00067] in <512d01de2eac4bf5ab1f0f8bcbad9348>:0
at Igor.HTML5Builder.Run () [0x00404] in <512d01de2eac4bf5ab1f0f8bcbad9348>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod.InternalInvoke(System.Reflection.MonoMethod,object,object[],System.Exception&)
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00032] in <bb7b695b8c6246b3ac1646577aea7650>:0
Igor complete.

elapsed time 00:00:09.1401390s for command "/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/mono" /Users/Shared/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes/runtime-2.2.2.326/bin/Igor.exe -j=8 -options="/var/folders/35/jyckrg5n0zl1b48flm7sq1vc0000gn/GameMakerStudio2/GMS2TEMP/build.bff" -- HTML5 Run started at 03/31/2019 20:10:54
FAILED: Run Program Complete
Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I installed GameMaker, it gave me this warning:

GameMaker Studio 2 is unable to access vital system folders.
Please check your folder permissions or contact your system administrator.

/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.ISq4OG/GameMakerStudio2
I have no idea what to do, any help appreciated thanks.

J

jorgera

I'm having the same problem, just installed and it won't open. Keeps showing this same message, did you manage to solve this?

pipebkOT

@hi8111
Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I installed GameMaker, it gave me this warning:

GameMaker Studio 2 is unable to access vital system folders.
Please check your folder permissions or contact your system administrator.

/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.ISq4OG/GameMakerStudio2
I mean, it's literally saying the problem, "unable to access vital system folders"

option 1 :run game maker studio 2 on administrator mode

option 2: simply change the program permissions by right clicking game maker studio 2 / security/ edit... and there allow all permissions

edit: oh you are using a mac, the process may be diferent but what you need is the same
you need to run game maker studio 2 on administrator mode

S

Sky President

Having the same problem, however the "vital system folders" path points to the GameMakerStudio2 folder in my documents, where only my projects are kept. I am also unable to create any new projects (anywhere on my computer). Whenever I try to, I am prompted with a "save as" dialogue that forces me to look for a file that it warns it will overwrite, which it doesn't. I have tried changing the path of my project folder to somewhere else, but the same error, with the same path, persists. I have tried giving GameMaker higher permissions, both in the security tab, and by running it with administrative privileges. Neither of these actions changed the behavior of this error. Any ideas? Maybe this is just a bug with the latest version?

rIKmAN

Having the same problem, however the "vital system folders" path points to the GameMakerStudio2 folder in my documents, where only my projects are kept. I am also unable to create any new projects (anywhere on my computer). Whenever I try to, I am prompted with a "save as" dialogue that forces me to look for a file that it warns it will overwrite, which it doesn't. I have tried changing the path of my project folder to somewhere else, but the same error, with the same path, persists. I have tried giving GameMaker higher permissions, both in the security tab, and by running it with administrative privileges. Neither of these actions changed the behavior of this error. Any ideas? Maybe this is just a bug with the latest version?
Well, you could test that theory by downloading an older build and seeing if the issue persists.

It definitely sounds like some sort of permissions / user access error.
Can you save / create files to those same locations when using other applications like a word processor or paint program for example?

S

Sky President

Well, you could test that theory by downloading an older build and seeing if the issue persists.

It definitely sounds like some sort of permissions / user access error.
Can you save / create files to those same locations when using other applications like a word processor or paint program for example?
I have tried saving files to the folder in question with multiple other programs, all succeed without issue.

However, reverting back to the last version of GameMaker that I used successfully (this problem only started when I updated to the newest version after not having used the program for a while), the same problem persists. There is no error message on startup (maybe a newly added alert), but I am still unable to write files anywhere on my computer. I also seem to remember a different dialogue coming up when I would create a new project when the program was working for me last. Wouldn't it ask for a name for the project in a GameMaker dialogue box, then create the project after that, as opposed to opening a file explorer labeled as "save as"? Perhaps my memory is incorrect, but this (probably) linked behavior also seems strange, on top of not being able to write/edit anything and all.

rIKmAN

I have tried saving files to the folder in question with multiple other programs, all succeed without issue.

However, reverting back to the last version of GameMaker that I used successfully (this problem only started when I updated to the newest version after not having used the program for a while), the same problem persists. There is no error message on startup (maybe a newly added alert), but I am still unable to write files anywhere on my computer. I also seem to remember a different dialogue coming up when I would create a new project when the program was working for me last. Wouldn't it ask for a name for the project in a GameMaker dialogue box, then create the project after that, as opposed to opening a file explorer labeled as "save as"? Perhaps my memory is incorrect, but this (probably) linked behavior also seems strange, on top of not being able to write/edit anything and all.
I can't say for certain on a Mac as I use the Windows version, but I can say that when I click "New Project > GML" a file explorer opens up with the title "Save As" at the top, at the bottom I can enter a "File name:" and I can choose a "Save As type:" of either "Project Name (*.*)" or "GameMaker Studio 2 Project (*.yyp).

Have you tried ettering a name for the new project and clicking save?
Is that where the error occurs?

S

Sky President

Figured it out (after two hours). It turns out that there's a built-in Windows 10 ransomware protection feature called Controlled Folder Access, which blocks certain "unknown" applications from modifying data within personal data directories. Not a permissions issue after all, just the native antivirus doing strange things without telling me. Thanks for the help anyway, I appreciate the quick replies.

rIKmAN

Figured it out (after two hours). It turns out that there's a built-in Windows 10 ransomware protection feature called Controlled Folder Access, which blocks certain "unknown" applications from modifying data within personal data directories. Not a permissions issue after all, just the native antivirus doing strange things without telling me. Thanks for the help anyway, I appreciate the quick replies.
I'm confused, you said you were using a Mac in your OP?
If you said you were using Windows then the first thing I usually suggest is disabling AV / system protection software as it can cause issues like this one.

Glad you figured it out.