• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Linux Cannot press control + arrow keys

B

BabyDukaCPH

Hello!

I'm experimenting with a Linux build and everything is working fine. Just one question:

Has anyone encountered and have any experience with the fact that Linux os doesn't seem to allow pressing and holding the control button at the same with arrow keys? Is this built into the os? I'm new to Linux and want to learn more.

Is there a way around this? Or is it a stadard in the Linux os?

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
You could try displaying all held down keys (a loop + keyboard_check). It is possible that the distro in question is interpreting Ctrl+Arrow as Home/End/PageUp/PageDown natively.

Dupletor

If you are pressing 3 keys at the same time and the 3rd does not respond, it may be because of the hardware mapping limitations.
All the keyboards have combinations of 3 keys that don't work, and these are made differently according to how the map works, and this is due to the fact that the electronics is mapped in 2 dimensions.
There is no way around this case, and the mapping is not standard. For example, in my PC, I can't run and look down at the same time in Dark Souls, because K, W and Alt are limited.

Most likely the other case, though.

B

BabyDukaCPH

@YellowAfterlife and @Dupletor Thank you for making me a bit more enlightened on this slightly complicated matter imo.
@YellowAfterlife thank you for this hint. I will take note

My solution so far which my Linux users are happy with, has been to change the sprint button from CTRL to Z. It's a lazy patch but so far it seems to keep me out of trouble. Thanks a lot for your replies!

Dupletor

Note that pressing only ctrl does not generate a keyboard interruption on Unix, so don't use it alone.
Check keyboard interrupt mapping.

Bentley

I think it was @Tthecreator who told me about keyboard ghosting: when I'd hold, for ex, right arrow and up arrow while holding space, the up arrow would not be considered held down. You can do a test and hold down 5 keys and see how many your computer recognizes.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
I think it was @Tthecreator who told me about keyboard ghosting: when I'd hold, for ex, right arrow and up arrow while holding space, the up arrow would not be considered held down. You can do a test and hold down 5 keys and see how many your computer recognizes.
Well thanks for the mention, but it might not be key ghosting in this case.
If this only happens to Linux users then it's highly unlikely that all of these users have a keyboard that ghosts in this specific way. Certainly mathematically not impossible, but highly improbable.
@BabyDukaCPH How big is your sample size? Has really nobody experienced issues on other platforms? In that case it's definitely Linux (or the Linux runner) doing something weird.