• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Cannot Open GMS2 Offline

mimsi

I recently re-downloaded GMS2 for a project after having owned it for quite a few years. I just updated to the latest version of GMS2 today, and I am not using the steam version. I am running 64 bit windows 10 with the latest updates.

I have discovered that when I try to open GMS2 offline, it simply refuses to open. It does start to open, and I have included a screenshot of the furthest it gets before it just stops running. (I apologize for the poor image quality, but I had to make the image smaller so the forum would allow me to upload it.) If I am connected to the internet, I experience no problems, but the entire point of me wanting to build this project is I want something to do when I don't have access to internet. I was under the impression that every two weeks or every 30 days or something that I would just be able to connect to the internet to keep the software active. I'm pretty sure that is how it used to work. I have definitely been online and verified my license already, and I can open it without performing the login as long as the internet is working.

Is this just how GMS2 works now? You have to have internet all of the time? Because if so, then this software is worthless to me. I'm hoping this is just a bug or there is some simple solution.

Screenshot 2021-07-18 193414.png

EDIT: Please disregard my previous suggestion. Since doing this, though the program now loads for me in offline mode, it has been acting laggy and weird. I'm going to try reinstalling it and hope that clears it up. Apologies for the bad advice.

I had exactly the same problem. The program would load up fine online, but offline it would close out (usually without an error message) at exactly the same screen you captured, after "Checking RSS..." I have no idea what the problem is, but I was able to get around it by opening the program online and then reverting to the previous runtime in the Runtime Feeds - Master menu in Preferences. After changing to a runtime from 7/9/2021, it loads up fine offline again for me. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
Glad it's a bug and not a requirement, I might be remote from next month and won't have internet access although I would like to spend time doing what I think I do best!

I was under the impression that every two weeks or every 30 days or something that I would just be able to connect to the internet to keep the software active. I'm pretty sure that is how it used to work.
It is still supposed to be like that (28 days, actually).
They do however quote this somewhere in the help desk
GMS2's stated requirements are for an always-on internet connection, however in practice you can often run offline for extensive periods of time.
I'd get in touch with Yoyo to see if they can help.

mimsi

Update: I have been in touch with yoyo. They had me make sure I have the latest runtimes downloaded and installed and told me to e-mail them back if that still didn't work. It didn't work. I sent them a copy of my log file, and I haven't heard back from them since. However. For some reason, just this morning, I was able to start up GMS with no internet. I haven't done anything further to try to resolve the problem, so I don't have any clue what possibly could have fixed it or what caused the problem in the first place. I will post again if they ever e-mail me back with further insight. Until then, I'm going to just hope that I will be able to run the program when I need it to run.

mimsi

Update: I downloaded the latest GMS2.3 update earlier today, noticing that one of the features was something about automatically installing the runtimes that you need. That was well and good. Since I had gotten GMS to work without internet previously the other day, I figured I would go out with my laptop to work on my project. Went well until it "became unstable" and told me to exit while I was playing with a tileset in a room. Had to exit the program. Went to restart the program, and then it would not run, just like before. Stops when it is checking RSS. Still haven't heard back from yoyogames yet. The last time I e-mailed them was on the 19th when they told me to reply if I still experienced any problems. I'll be sending them the latest ui.log file as soon as I get home tonight. Starting to get annoyed that they haven't gotten back to me though because I was stuck with nothing to do for 4 hours. Can't rely on this program. Should have brought a book or something.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

When I tested out the offline mode a good while back I had to disable my ethernet controller in Control Panel to make it work.
Just removing the ethernet cable or turning off the router with the cable still in made it fail after trying to login.

I assume disabling/turning off the wireless connection on a laptop etc would do the same thing, but give that a go and see if it makes a difference as I haven't tested it since as I'm rarely offline when coding.

mimsi

When I tested out the offline mode a good while back I had to disable my ethernet controller in Control Panel to make it work.
Just removing the ethernet cable or turning off the router with the cable still in made it fail after trying to login.

I assume disabling/turning off the wireless connection on a laptop etc would do the same thing, but give that a go and see if it makes a difference as I haven't tested it since as I'm rarely offline when coding.
This laptop only has a wifi adapter. I tried disabling that, and it didn't fix it either, unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion.

rIKmAN

This laptop only has a wifi adapter. I tried disabling that, and it didn't fix it either, unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion.
Did you actually disable the wifi device in Control Panel or just toggle it off?

Well, i usually dislike to necroposts, but i need to say about the fact that LTS version can't work offline, i've send ticket and the log they're asked (days before christmas just to clarify). No response.

I'm the only one with this probem?