• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Cannot make an installer

hI

I just tried to build an executable (I had no problem running it in the IDE) and I got this message. Note: I did clean out my %appdata% and cleaned the cache.

Error:

!define: "COMPANY_NAME"=""
!define: "APP_NAME"="Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
!define: "SHORT_NAME"="Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
!define: "INSTDIR_REG_ROOT"="HKLM"
!define: "INSTDIR_REG_KEY"="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
!define: "MIN_FRA_MAJOR"="2"
!define: "MIN_FRA_MINOR"="0"
!define: "MIN_FRA_BUILD"="*"
PluginDir: "."
!include: "X:\windows\makensis\Include\MUI.nsh"
!include: "X:\windows\makensis\Contrib\Modern UI\System.nsh"
NSIS Modern User Interface version 1.8 - Copyright 2002-2009 Joost Verburg (X:\windows\makensis\Contrib\Modern UI\System.nsh:8)
!define: "MUI_INCLUDED"=""
!define: "MUI_SYSVERSION"="1.8"
!define: "MUI_VERBOSE"="3"
!include: closed: "X:\windows\makensis\Contrib\Modern UI\System.nsh"
!include: closed: "X:\windows\makensis\Include\MUI.nsh"
!include: "X:\windows\makensis\Include\AdvUninstLog.nsh"
Advanced Uninstall Log NSIS header v1.0 2007-01-31 by Red Wine (http://nsis.sf.net/User:Red_Wine) (X:\windows\makensis\Include\AdvUninstLog.nsh:29)
!include: closed: "X:\windows\makensis\Include\AdvUninstLog.nsh"
Name: "Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
Caption: "Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
BrandingText: "Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
OutFile: "D:\BvB\3-15-2020ADAMINSTALLER.exe"
InstallDir: "$PROGRAMFILES\Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
InstallRegKey: "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Made in GameMaker Studio 2\InstallDir"
VIAddVersionKey: "FileVersion" "1.0.0.0"
VIAddVersionKey: "ProductVersion" "1.0.0.0"
VIAddVersionKey: "ProductName" "Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
VIAddVersionKey: "CompanyName" "YoYo Games Ltd"
VIAddVersionKey: "LegalCopyright" "(c) 2018 CompanyName"
VIAddVersionKey: "FileDescription" "Installer for Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
!define: "MUI_HEADERIMAGE"=""
!define: "MUI_HEADERIMAGE_BITMAP_NOSTRETCH"=""
!define: "MUI_ICON"="X:\\BaseProject\options\windows\icons\icon.ico"
!define: "MUI_WELCOMEFINISHPAGE_BITMAP"="X:\\BaseProject\options\windows\installer\finished.bmp"
!define: "MUI_HEADERIMAGE_BITMAP"="X:\\BaseProject\options\windows\installer\header.bmp"
!define: "MUI_WELCOMEFINISHPAGE_BITMAP_NOSTRETCH"=""
!insertmacro: UNATTENDED_UNINSTALL
!insertmacro: end of UNATTENDED_UNINSTALL
!insertmacro: MUI_PAGE_LICENSE
!insertmacro: end of MUI_PAGE_LICENSE
!insertmacro: MUI_PAGE_COMPONENTS
!insertmacro: end of MUI_PAGE_COMPONENTS
!insertmacro: MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY
!insertmacro: end of MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY
!insertmacro: MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro: end of MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!define: "MUI_FINISHPAGE_NOAUTOCLOSE"=""
!define: "MUI_FINISHPAGE_RUN_TEXT"="Start Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
!define: "MUI_FINISHPAGE_RUN"="$INSTDIR\3-15-2020MUSICSAVED.exe"
!insertmacro: MUI_PAGE_FINISH
!insertmacro: end of MUI_PAGE_FINISH
Var: "VCRedistSetupError"
!insertmacro: MUI_UNPAGE_WELCOME
!insertmacro: end of MUI_UNPAGE_WELCOME
!insertmacro: MUI_UNPAGE_CONFIRM
!insertmacro: end of MUI_UNPAGE_CONFIRM
!insertmacro: MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro: end of MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro: MUI_UNPAGE_FINISH
!insertmacro: end of MUI_UNPAGE_FINISH
!insertmacro: MUI_LANGUAGE
!insertmacro: end of MUI_LANGUAGE
Section: "Made in GameMaker Studio 2"
SectionIn: [RO]
SetOutPath: "$INSTDIR"
!insertmacro: UNINSTALL.LOG_OPEN_INSTALL
!insertmacro: end of UNINSTALL.LOG_OPEN_INSTALL
File: "license.txt" [compress] 1312/2917 bytes
File: "3-15-2020MUSICSAVED.exe" [compress] 1995736/4911104 bytes
File: "ARIALUNI_fixed.ttf" [compress] 15099617/22935280 bytes
File: "CENTURY.TTF" [compress] 105646/165248 bytes
File: "GMLVideo.ext" [compress] 0 bytes
File: "Manual_NailBuster_GUI_Widget_Library_v13.pdf" [compress] 902860/970996 bytes
File: "NailBusterGUISamplev15.gmz" [compress] 3334353/3349011 bytes
File: "RAVIE.TTF" [compress] 53567/74416 bytes
File: "Video Player Pro.pdf" [compress] 87082/91835 bytes
File: "animatedmap.mp4" [compress] 6653039/6696817 bytes
File: "animation for game.mp4" [compress] 10204363/10405796 bytes
File: "changelog.txt" [compress] 2557/5930 bytes
File: "constants.txt" [compress] 106/188 bytes
File: "data.win" [compress]
Internal compiler error #12345: error mmapping datablock to -2018716032.
Note: you may have one or two (large) stale temporary file(s)
left in your temporary directory (Generally this only happens on Windows 9x).

X:/\windows\makensis\makensis.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:37.5205413s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.2.5.378/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\tedgr\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows PackageNsis started at 03/15/2020 23:00:37
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0399260s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 03/15/2020 23:01:14
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0308374s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 03/15/2020 23:01:14
"cmd" /c subst X: /d
elapsed time 00:00:00.0309176s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 03/15/2020 23:01:14
FAILED: Package Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
NSIS installers are limited to 2 GB by default - are you trying to create an installer that exceeds this limit?
Also make sure that the drive you're saving this to has enough space left - that could be another reason why it fails.

You got to be frickin kidding me. I spent two years+ working on this damn game and I can't even distribute an installer for it?
All that work we put in is for nothing because YoYo is screwing us over.
The only clue I have is this cryptic error message:
Note: you may have one or two (large) stale temporary file(s)
left in your temporary directory (Generally this only happens on Windows 9x).

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Internal compiler error #12345: error mmapping datablock to -2018716032.
you dont have enough memory

chamaeleon

You got to be frickin kidding me. I spent two years+ working on this damn game and I can't even distribute an installer for it?
All that work we put in is for nothing because YoYo is screwing us over.
Take a deep breath and look into alternatives to NSIS. Some allows the splitting of installed content into multiple files that each are less than 2GB (you might want to schedule a meeting with the Top Men at Microsoft to discuss EXE file size limit if this is not acceptable to you).

Take a deep breath and look into alternatives to NSIS. Some allows the splitting of installed content into multiple files that each are less than 2GB (you might want to schedule a meeting with the Top Men at Microsoft to discuss EXE file size limit if this is not acceptable to you).
I have lots of things I'd like to discuss with the execs at Microsoft, this is the least.
What sort of alternatives to NSIS do I have?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
I have lots of things I'd like to discuss with the execs at Microsoft, this is the least.
What sort of alternatives to NSIS do I have?
Not sure if it would have the same effect (never had this problem) try creating a zip rather then an installer

Not sure if it would have the same effect (never had this problem) try creating a zip rather then an installer
Could you use a combination of both, first using the installer method to create the frame work of the directory tree of the game with some of the files, and then use zip(s) to install the rest of the files to those directories where they are meant to be installed, as a work around ... Or should you stick with using either the installer OR the zip method , but NOT both?

I'm looking into Inno. Its asking for an .exe file though. And a path. "Please provide the facts that are part of y our application"
I have NO idea where the home directory for GMS2 is on a PC.

I'm looking into Inno. Its asking for an .exe file though. And a path. "Please provide the facts that are part of y our application"
I believe it is talking about your application (ie: your game) not GMS2. So what you would probably do is build from GMS2 as a zip file (like has been suggested in an earlier post to try), then just extract your zip to a folder so that you have your game executable and any other files in that folder, and then use Inno to build the installer by pointing it at that game folder/exe.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Could you use a combination of both, first using the installer method to create the frame work of the directory tree of the game with some of the files, and then use zip(s) to install the rest of the files to those directories where they are meant to be installed, as a work around ... Or should you stick with using either the installer OR the zip method , but NOT both?
The zip contains your data.win and an .exe of your game, its portable (you could shove it on a flashdrive and it would work) the installer option means its a single exe file that puts the data.win and exe in the location supplied during the install process, pick your poison, installer? or portable .zip

id go with what @BaBiA Game Studio has said

The zip contains your data.win and an .exe of your game, its portable (you could shove it on a flashdrive and it would work) the installer option means its a single exe file that puts the data.win and exe in the location supplied during the install process, pick your poison, installer? or portable .zip

id go with what @BaBiA Game Studio has said
SO you are saying create installable as a zip file, then use Inno Setup to create an installer? If so, that might be workable

make zip.
unzip the zip.
take zip files.
make inno installer.
First question :
So lets say I have a game thats 10GB ( most of it is data files ) , and I want to use a USB flash drive as the place I want to install them. I make 5 2GB zip files or how ever many it takes, and use the zip files to create the installer by inno?

Second question :
If I am using a external USB flash drive as the place I want to install them, do I need to worry about needing digitally signed installs or uninstalls for windows, since its not using the local hard drive of the computer?

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
First question :
So lets say I have a game thats 10GB ( most of it is data files ) , and I want to use a USB flash drive as the place I want to install them. I make 5 2GB zip files or how ever many it takes, and use the zip files to create the installer by inno?

Second question :
If I am using a external USB flash drive as the place I want to install them, do I need to worry about needing digitally signed installs or uninstalls for windows, since its not using the local hard drive of the computer?
you dont need to use a usb if your making an installer with inno, gamemaker will only give you 1 zip file, you need the files INSIDE the zip file to make the inno installer

chamaeleon

Like @EvanSki says, the zip file generated by GMS is only the means by which you get the files required for your game in a compiled state. Unzp the content wherever you want, configure the Inno Setup project to use those unzipped files as its input to generate one or more files for the installer (one exe and possible one or more bin files with data). Read the Inno Setup documentation thoroughly to understand what it will do for you with respect to installation options.