• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Candy Crush Style World Map System

S

Stuart Mander

Hi all,

I am making a side shooting game and I am stuck at how to code the world map. I have been having a very hard time finding any form of tutorial to get me started on what to do.

With the map I want in the same style as candy crush or pretty much an exact clone of that world map and level system.

So I am asking for help on what I can do to make the map system as all the tutorials I have found are a basic unlockable levels system where the levels are displayed as squares in a seperate room to the worlds I don't want that. I want something exactly the same as the game I referred to.

Any help would be great, I have attached a stock image from google on what I would like to replicate.

Also if I can get advice on a level complete thing that would send me back to the world map screen that would be great. Like a pop up with 3 stars or something.

Thanks

Attachments

TheouAegis

Design your world map in the room, then create a giant path placing each node at each of the levels and then adjusting the bezier curves between nodes to match your path designs.

S

Stuart Mander

Design your world map in the room, then create a giant path placing each node at each of the levels and then adjusting the bezier curves between nodes to match your path designs.
Okay, can I get more info on how I would go about doing that. I am still very new to game maker and coding

S

Stuart Mander

Sorry but that doesn't really help or answer my question

C

Catastrophe

I haven't used paths, but I assume the path editor is accessed by making a new path layer in the room editor (the same way you'd make other layers), and then creating a new path.

That said, I'm not sure what exactly you want help with since your original post was a bit vague, maybe because I haven't played candy crush. If you just want it so you click circular buttons that take you to rooms, that's easy and doesn't need a path.

Make a bunch of circular objects, give them a variable stating with room they lead to and on (non-global) mouse left press event just do a room_goto() to that variable holding the room identification.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

TheouAegis

Oh right, Candy Crush doesn't have movement on the map, it's just buttons. lol

It does have a pinched perspective, though.