1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Candy Crush Style World Map System

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Stuart Mander, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Stuart Mander

Stuart Mander Member

Hi all,

I am making a side shooting game and I am stuck at how to code the world map. I have been having a very hard time finding any form of tutorial to get me started on what to do.

With the map I want in the same style as candy crush or pretty much an exact clone of that world map and level system.

So I am asking for help on what I can do to make the map system as all the tutorials I have found are a basic unlockable levels system where the levels are displayed as squares in a seperate room to the worlds I don't want that. I want something exactly the same as the game I referred to.

Any help would be great, I have attached a stock image from google on what I would like to replicate.

Also if I can get advice on a level complete thing that would send me back to the world map screen that would be great. Like a pop up with 3 stars or something.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Design your world map in the room, then create a giant path placing each node at each of the levels and then adjusting the bezier curves between nodes to match your path designs.

3. Stuart Mander

Stuart Mander Member

Okay, can I get more info on how I would go about doing that. I am still very new to game maker and coding

4. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

5. Stuart Mander

Stuart Mander Member

Sorry but that doesn't really help or answer my question

6. Catastrophe

Catastrophe Member

I haven't used paths, but I assume the path editor is accessed by making a new path layer in the room editor (the same way you'd make other layers), and then creating a new path.

That said, I'm not sure what exactly you want help with since your original post was a bit vague, maybe because I haven't played candy crush. If you just want it so you click circular buttons that take you to rooms, that's easy and doesn't need a path.

Make a bunch of circular objects, give them a variable stating with room they lead to and on (non-global) mouse left press event just do a room_goto() to that variable holding the room identification.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  7. TheouAegis

TheouAegis Member

Oh right, Candy Crush doesn't have movement on the map, it's just buttons. lol

It does have a pinched perspective, though.
    [​IMG]